Snake oil on the rise (4 Dec, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Snake oil on the rise (4 Dec, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:33 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1204.shtml

Who'd have thought that something as easily procured as regular household bleach could cure HIV, AIDS, cancer and just about every other disease or affliction known to man?

Who'd have thought that any sane person would believe such rubbish?

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for this crap?

Why don't they just go down to the chemist and ask for that other well-known cure-all "500mg Placebo tablets" and if that doesn't provide the necessary cure, go back and get 1000mg tabs of Placebo-forte (that's guaranteed to work).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Snake oil on the rise (4 Dec, 2017)

Postby hagfish » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:52 am

Obligatory XKCD:

hagfish

Postby phill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 am

there was a study i read some time ago

"placebos are more effective now than they were a few decades ago"

the reasoning was people expect medicines to work now so the positive attitude side of cures ( a not inconsequential part either )
is more widespread and hence effective

i just bought some 36% extra strength to go with my 21% normal .. add em roughly 1/1 and they are worth a fortune .. apparently

i do agree with most of the claims though
sodium hyperchlorite will kill pretty much everything ... it doesnt stop just cause your human though
maybe i could sell gas axe curing stations .. just 20 mins and you will be disease and cancer free
hey i could rent the local crematorium for a night clinic

i guess they were working on the theory .. whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger
and its not that long since mercury and cyanide were recommended medical cures

there are cheaper ways than buying their prep .. eg
go for a swim at local pool ( pre contains activating acids as well ... ureic of course )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Stevesub » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 am

Swimming Pool Chlorine is the go, cheap as and you should see what 5 litres does to a swimming pool that has been neglected and the water has gone brown. a day or so later it is crystal clear, amazing.
Stevesub

Postby GoGijoe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 am

Does NZ really have a science denial problem?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11952249

You can blame commercial for profit science for how easy it is to sucker people into trying new devastating ways to harm themselves.
the NZ article even claims fluoride water is good for you even though its a toxic waste and if it was working as intended in my town, why do people have such poor oral health and missing teeth?

But apparently its blasphemy to challenge the status quo, in some ways science has become its own belief system, if its printed and peer reviewed in my local friendly echo chamber it must be true!

One only needs to do a bit of browsing to see things like people broadcast spraying DDT powder on people at the beach, how lead is amazing for us and causes no harm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6fAP6Fjx-Y

one needs to take a sceptical view of all reports of injections, pills and sprays being touted as the latest and greatest.
GoGijoe

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Careful Bruce, you are coming perilously close to sounding like you are criticising the wisdom of the free market. If the companies telling people to drink bleach are making a profit then what else could possibly matter? Meanwhile exposing scientists to competition via limited contestable funding and "publish or persish" philosophies can not fail to bring out the very best in them, because that is so obviously the best way to do everything. Those that say otherwise are probably just communists and can be safely ignored.
Muscular Jam

Postby phill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 pm

i almost take offense at some of the comments about Big Pharma
ie using them to justify misinformation about the medical profession

while i agree with the theme where big pharma have way to much control over governments and policy
morals an alley cat would be ashamed of
pricing that a banker would be awed by
and salaries that are unforgivable

they forget the people that actually produce these medicines are people that work in a laboratory
have relatives with the same problems and diseases as everyone else
are generally driven by wanting to find cures for any and everything

but are lumped in with big pharma corporate bosses as far as lack of humanity goes

i would say that if any knew of a cure being held back purely for sales of ongoing stabilizing drugs
they would say so .. esp with such anonymous places as wikileaks around
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby GoGijoe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 pm

No point taking offence, its part and parcel of being a person of science, being able to defend your claims with repeatable results.

German nurses possibly killed more people with good intentions based on the science at the time than where probably killed by other documented means.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... nt/6619214

One would hope workers of big pharma would be induced to speak out of any real discoveries being made, even if it affected the companies bottom line by curing the symptoms of there biggest sellers.

But I really try not to put to much faith in people being relied upon to swim against the stream in order for great progress to be achieved.

Maybe Elon should get into big pharma.
GoGijoe

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 pm

GoGijoe wrote:its part and parcel of being a person of science, being able to defend your claims with repeatable results.
Apparently not so much since Scientific Journals became seen as profit making entities by their publishers.
https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/jun/06/why-we-cant-trust-academic-journals-to-tell-the-scientific-truth
Muscular Jam

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:09 am

Muscular Jam wrote:
GoGijoe wrote:its part and parcel of being a person of science, being able to defend your claims with repeatable results.
Apparently not so much since Scientific Journals became seen as profit making entities by their publishers.
https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/jun/06/why-we-cant-trust-academic-journals-to-tell-the-scientific-truth

That article is complaining about “life sciences” and “economics”, neither of which would be regarded as hard, measurable Science.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Next

Return to Today's column