A refreshing taste of honesty (11 Jan, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A refreshing taste of honesty (11 Jan, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0111.shtml

MJP did a fantastic job of bullshirting their way into millions of dollars and still haven't delivered anything but promises.

Meanwhile, in the USA, a couple of garage-inventors have developed a *real* jetpack that outperforms the MJP in almost every respect *and* uses jet engines.

Best of all, the developer of this real jetpack seems to be in touch with reality.

How refreshing!

Yet the bullshirt continues to flow elsewhere in the startup world -- with Che Guevara and Bonny Parker making all sorts of ridiculous claims for their drones and those claims apparently being swallowed by police and government agencies in the USA.

Well at least I guess it makes for an "interesting" world.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A refreshing taste of honesty (11 Jan, 2018)

Postby NordieBoy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 am

"We also build unmanned vehicles that integrate biometrics and holographic displays into a patent-pending, neuromechanical interface that works exactly like you think it should: drones you fly with your mind in augmented reality."

I want one.
NordieBoy

Postby kermiedefrog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 am

Have met Mr Jetpack - standing next to his $150k aeroplane ... the irony ...
kermiedefrog

Postby phill » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am

i headed for the wildfire drone ( seems its a team of them )
wow
really cool stuff but utter utter bullshit
how they can expect anyone to believe a drone ( or team of them ) can carry enough foam ( even CAF compressed air foam ) to do anything more than mark the spot is beyond me
they seem to rely on people having no concept of how big, hot and fast a wildfire can be
how you stabilize a drone to accurately put foam on one spot with huge wind and fire swirls hitting it and the force of the foam coming out is also not highlighted very well
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby latewings » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

I wonder if there's a drone for measuring methane and other emissions from dairy cattle. Specifically the Y chromosome bearing variety.

I was flying an R22 this morning, and had a great deal of fun trying to lift a log off the ground as the density altitude is so high given the heat. With the examiner on board I was right on max power (5 minute limit) trying to lift around 20kg of wood off the deck. There's no way a drone, with limited lift power could get anything beyond a thimble full of water to anywhere it needed to be, and survive the updrafts from the flames (in conjunction with the heat affecting the battery life).

It very much smells like it....
latewings

Postby granada29 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm surprised they haven't completed their spiel with a statement about the forthcoming inclusion of blockchain technology in their software.

sigh ...
granada29

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:46 pm

latewings wrote: There's no way a drone, with limited lift power could get anything beyond a thimble full of water to anywhere it needed to be, and survive the updrafts from the flames (in conjunction with the heat affecting the battery life).

Ah but firefighting drones won't be the drones we think of when the word is mentioned today.

They will be pilotless aircraft much larger in size and probably simply retrofitted craft that were previously manned helicopters or fixed-wing.

We've already seen several mainstream heli manufacturers release "drone" versions of their machines and this will become even more commonplace.

Without the weight of a pilot, such craft will be able to carry even heavier loads and/or have more endurance than their manned equivalent.

What's more, a computer-controlled flight controller won't suffer mast-bumping or other pilot-induced failure modes that can/do cause fatalities with far too much regularity.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:06 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11973523

The fixed-wing drone resembled an oversize toy aircraft assembled from plywood, said Aaron Stein of the Atlantic Council.

Yet they use a stock photo of a rotary powered drone. Little wonder public perceptions are misguided.
latewings

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 am

NordieBoy wrote:"We also build unmanned vehicles that integrate biometrics and holographic displays into a patent-pending, neuromechanical interface that works exactly like you think it should: drones you fly with your mind in augmented reality.".

AND they are fully buzz-word compliant. Well, apart from the bit-chain bit...
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column