The race to secure your computer (17 Jan, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The race to secure your computer (17 Jan, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0117.shtml

What happens if the hackers release a viable exploit for Spectre and Meltdown before the engineers get all those bugs out of the patches designed to thwart such an attack?

And how many systems will remain unpatched, despite the best efforts of manufacturers and vendors?

How many users will find the performance-hit these patches impose to be too great and thus refuse to install them?

Once Intel, AMD and ARM release a new family of "fixed" CPUs, will their be a sudden glut of older (but perfectly fine) computers on teh second-hand market?

Who'd buy a brand new computer today when you can be pretty sure that in a few months time you'll be able to buy the same computer with a CPU that isn't ankle-tapped by the need to run patches to mitigate this vulnerability?

What steps (if any) will you be taking to reduce your exposure to the risks that now exist as a result of these vulnerabilities?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The race to secure your computer (17 Jan, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Who'd buy a brand new computer today when you can be pretty sure that in a few months time you'll be able to buy the same computer with a CPU that isn't ankle-tapped by the need to run patches to mitigate this vulnerability?

Intel's stock is down a handful of dollars but surely later in the year, people will realise that Intel is going to have a busy few quarters replacing every server in every rack in the world. Apple might find it difficult to sell its current stock of 'broken' Macs. Maybe this will exert some downwards pressure on their prices, or maybe they'll just shred that inventory, and renew their entire lineup with 'fixed' chips.

For my cannon-fodder gaming PC, I'm content to run a compromised CPU. There's no guarantee the replacement CPUs won't also be affected by their own batch of bugs. I visit the same handful of sites day after day - rarely venture out of my self-imposed walled garden. The kids surf far and wide, tho, so it pays to keep things patched...
hagfish

Re: The race to secure your computer (17 Jan, 2018)

Postby pctek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:And how many systems will remain unpatched, despite the best efforts of manufacturers and vendors?

What steps (if any) will you be taking to reduce your exposure to the risks that now exist as a result of these vulnerabilities?

They've had a long, long time to do so. It's not like this is a new thing, it's been there for ages.
What steps? Nothing.
pctek

Return to Today's column