YouTube gearing up for change (19 Jan, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

YouTube gearing up for change (19 Jan, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0119.shtml

Is YouTube starting to implement changes designed to weed out all the small channels and focus on the real money-spinners?

Might this be the start of the "dumbing down" of YouTube content so as to make it a better fit for the massive (and lucrative) audience that is transitioning from broadcast TV to Net-based video entertainment?

How does ankle-tapping the startup channels (as YT has just done) in anyway prevent their "golden boys" with subscriber-bases measired in millions, from doing bad things (by posting suicide videos or anti-Semitic rants)?

Could YT be planning to prune itself so as to demote or even eliminate some of the most worthy (but often least-viewed) content?

To be honest, after seeing the way that YT has made an endless series of changes that benefit nobody, I would not be in the least surprised if we see a culling of the good stuff in favour of the "biggest earning" as they try to work there way towards profitability.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: YouTube gearing up for change (19 Jan, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 am

Just a couple of things: I didn't see anywhere that they are going to stop running ads around content uploaded by those who don't meet the criteria - only that these uploaders wont see any cash for these ads. Secondly, I also don't see how this change will affect the Logan guy - as he meets the criteria for monetisation of his vids.

It does seem like it will be harder for new entrants to get a foot on the ladder, but the Internet has been moving in that direction for a while.
hagfish

Postby phill » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am

seems like YT is trying to copy the weather
if you dont like it at the moment wait 20 mins and it will change again

the power of some people trying to justify their existence / pay packet
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:32 am

hagfish wrote:Just a couple of things: I didn't see anywhere that they are going to stop running ads around content uploaded by those who don't meet the criteria

Yes, this is something they haven't made clear but I know that if I choose not to monetise a video then it carries no ads. One would assume therefore that if someone is not eligible to monetise a video then their videos ought not carry ads either.

However, if YT sees this as a great way to earn a few hundred million dollars more every year by monetising the small channels' videos and keeping all the revenues then it will be a dark day for YT and its viewers.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby retroman33366 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 pm

To be Blunt, I make You-tube Videos for my self. These are Songs I have written and produced and sot a video of. In today’s market and my style of music just is not popular enough to make any money, so what’s new? Well I'm having fun and that’s all that counts!
retroman33366

Postby Muscular Jam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:I know that if I choose not to monetise a video then it carries no ads. One would assume therefore that if someone is not eligible to monetise a video then their videos ought not carry ads either.
Ah, I think I see a potential flaw in your reasoning there.
Muscular Jam

Return to Today's column