Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:58 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0202.shtml

Does Tokoroa have a golden opportunity to establish itself as "the place" to stop and recharge your EV when driving from Auckland along SH1?

What other points of distinction could the town create with its $4m spend on redeveloping the front of town in an attempt to coerce people to turn off the main highway and spend time in the CBD?

Will an "architecturally designed" triangular building which doubles as a place for problem youth to hang out in public view do the job or is that going to simply make Tokoroa another heartless "glass and concrete" town like so many others on SH1?

What would encourage *you* to stop in Tokoroa if you were passing by?

Should the town be thinking 5 years ahead, by which time there may be a thousand or more EVs passing by each and every day, with a good number of those vehicles seeking a place to recharge?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 am

Ooh, you've done it now Bruce: had a great idea that'll have to be stomped on.
Cr1: "Here's a good idea, let's make Tokoroa an EV Charging Hub?"
Cr2: "Sorry, not going to happen: that troublemaker Simpson has already suggested it so we can't possibly touch it now!"
:twisted:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Malcolm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:40 am

I always felt the charging networks should try to work with Tourism NZ to get charging stations near the tourist traps. Then work with the rental companies to rent EVs to tourists. It would be a good combination. The limited range and longer charging time would encourage them to stop relatively frequently for 15-30 mins. In the meantime buy a coffee and a muffin, check out the local attraction before continuing on to the next stop in about 100km or so to repeat. Also a lot of the new EVs feature advanced features like lane assist etc which would help stop them from meandering on the wrong side of the road and all the other dangers they seem to pose.
Malcolm

Postby BruceNZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:46 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Given that this town has been built on the timer industry

Smelling pistake there I suspect....
BruceNZ

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 am

BruceNZ wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Given that this town has been built on the timer industry

Smelling pistake there I suspect....

Good catch! Damn, I'm doing too much microcontroller programming in my spare time :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:12 am

I passed through the Metropolis of Tokoroa twice last week. Once on my way to Turangi where I spent the week on holiday with Mrs Wings and the winglets and once on the way back. We employed the local convenience by the ISite (aka toilets) and filled up at the Mobil station, then visited the Countdown to buy the perishable (re: milk) supplies for our stay an hour down the road. We'd been on the road for a little over two hours from Auckland.

If I were of EV persuasion I'd have considered Tokoroa a very viable spot for a recharge station on SH1. Why? Well having one in Matamata for those coming from Auckland, and Tokoroa would make perfect sense. A quick 15 minute charge at each place would ensure the drivers are not unduly delayed in their journeys: just enough time for food and water along with a comfort break (read toilet) while the car gets enough to make it easily to the next spot.

Of interest was the very new Tesla recharge station just along from the Fire Station in Taupo. A three bay charging station that is just 50m from SH1. Tokoroa would be the perfect spot for another one, particularly for those on the way back to Auckland.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 am

latewings wrote:Of interest was the very new Tesla recharge station just along from the Fire Station in Taupo. A three bay charging station that is just 50m from SH1. Tokoroa would be the perfect spot for another one, particularly for those on the way back to Auckland.

Although most people bypass Taupo now if they're heading along SH1 don't they? Why fight the tourist traffic when there's a nice express route that sidesteps it all and cuts 10-15 minutes off your travel time?

Another idea I've tried to float is an "Aviation Motel" on the airfield. That would make the area far more attractive for events there (aviation and non-aviation alike) and the concept is to include Tokoroa into a tourism triangle that includes Rotorua and Taupo. Visit Rotorua for the day, stay the night in Tok (at a much lower cost than Taupo or Rotorua) then carry on down to Taupo for the next day. Or... base yourself in Tokoroa and take day-trips to Rotorua, Taupo, Tauranga or whatever. Cheap motel accommodation would likely be an attractant. Apparently our motels here already have a very high occupancy rate but, according to a councilor "they're crap" so a new motel would create jobs and opportunities. The Wainunga (sp?) was running a training motel where students got to learn the hospitality trade whilst operating a motel. I think that's shut down now... more's the shame.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:02 pm

an interesting look at how local businesses dream up ways to have people stop in small towns

kerikeri is a great example of how to think stupid things up for council to enact

they built a bypass around kerikeri because the main street was always full of traffic ... and guess what .. people bypassed it
then they enacted many different speed restrictions on the bypass route .. down to 60k in places so people will slow down, take in the local beauty and hence stop to enjoy the amenities .... when all it really does is piss people off .... speed traps .. im not stopping around here

kawakawa did it by building the hundertwasser designed sculpture toilets .... a great idea that works
people stop at kawakawa happily

huntly did it by having the best bakery for miles

paerora partially succeeded with the big L&P bottle
its to far from the shops to make a huge difference .. but people stop there

building a concrete jungle might sound great to a local council ... but thats not who you are trying to convince
to me it looks like the ideas that work are quirky things that are more than a 2 second look to take in and peculiar to that particular town
Last edited by phill on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby mad » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:56 pm

New World have already got their claws into the Govt money being thrown about for this and are planning a charge.net charger in Tokoroa this year,
http://autofile.co.nz/charging-while-shopping/
The EV chargers will be rolled out over the coming months at the supermarkets listed below:

North Island
•New World Havelock North
•New World Kawerau
•New World Levin
•New World Matamata
•New World Mt Maunganui
•New World Morrinsville
•New World Ohakune
•New World Stratford
•New World Taihape
•New World Tokoroa
•New World Waihi
•Four Square National Park
•Four Square Opononi
•Four Square Pirongia
•PAK’nSAVE Kaitaia

in reply to latewings

The Tesla charger is in Taupo because they also have one in Hamilton if you need it and a 60Kwh Tesla is EPA rated at just over 300km ( Taupo-Auckland is~270km)
mad

Postby paulw » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Great idea to have an EV charging stations at Tokoroa but it should not be up to the rate payers to provide it, maybe the local power company roadhouse diner..
paulw

Next

Return to Today's column