Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Postby hiscoca » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Having looked at the released info on this redevelopement I noticed that it already includes EV recharging in the plan (yes I know only two, but thats better than none and likely to be more than enough to start with) Guess they beat you to the idea Bruce, Move on nothing more to see here
https://www.facebook.com/SouthWaikatoDistrictCouncil/photos/pcb.1611906128904321/1611889112239356/?type=3&theater or for those who dont do Facebook http://www.southwaikato.govt.nz/our-council/major%20projects/Leith%20Place/Pages/Tokoroa%20CBD%20Upgrade.aspx scroll down to Carparks
hiscoca

Postby joeseph » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:48 pm

State Highway 1 will be changing to one northern lane and one southern lane with on and off ramps to improve safety and access into the CBD

are they seriously that stupid? really?
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:18 pm

paulw wrote:Great idea to have an EV charging stations at Tokoroa but it should not be up to the rate payers to provide it, maybe the local power company roadhouse diner..

The problem with putting these things in supermarkets, diners or whatever is that there's a chance that they'll be "for customers only". I don't want to have to buy something at New World just so I can recharge my car.

We're spending over $4m on this redevelopment -- why not spend $500K on a set of fast-charge stations and perhaps even make them free to use for as long as the budgeted amount remains unspent? Hell, that's got to attract a snot-load more people than a glass monolith.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:20 pm

hiscoca wrote:Having looked at the released info on this redevelopement I noticed that it already includes EV recharging in the plan (yes I know only two, but thats better than none and likely to be more than enough to start with) Guess they beat you to the idea Bruce, Move on nothing more to see here

Yes, they say they're going to include a couple but they're a very minor part of the redevelopment. I believe they should have many more and this should be the single greatest selling point -- our point of distinction could be "free EV recharge" at Tokoroa. I don't know of any other town making that offer but there are plenty of small towns where councils have built monuments to themselves to no effect. Let's not be the same as everyone else, let's be different and do something smart.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:27 pm

joeseph wrote:
State Highway 1 will be changing to one northern lane and one southern lane with on and off ramps to improve safety and access into the CBD

are they seriously that stupid? really?

Sadly... yes.

If/when Tokoroa becomes a bottleneck on SH1, bypassing it will given a much greater priority than is now the case. How will our retailers fare when there are just a tiny trickle of cars passing their towering monolith because, like the internet, traffic is re-routed around problem areas? As I have said... this council has no concept of forward planning or contingency planning.

They built a railway siding and were surprised to realise (after it was built) that:

- it would need lighting to operate after dark
- it would need drains to carry the rainwater away.

Who'd have thought eh? Bang... there's another quarter of a million of unbudgeted expenditure because nobody thought ahead.

They planned to build pensioner housing on the cheap by using students from a nearby polytech or schools. Who'd have thought that this would not be possible due to H&S reasons and difficulties with passing drug tests? Bang... there's another year added to the delivery date, extra expense and a reduced number of units on the site. No forward planning -- no checking before spending -- no contingency planning.

The list of similar disasters and cock-ups is very long so no, I'm not surprised that they probably haven't even considered the potentially huge negative outcomes of their decisions.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:06 pm

aardvark_admin wrote: Sadly... yes.

sorry - it was a rhetorical question really, it is blatently obvious that the "artists impressions" have no concept of how much traffic passes through.

Any roading engineer with any brains would test what happens if you cone off the left-hand lane as planned.
Dollars to donuts they would be asked awfully quickly to remove said cones.

I've passed through Tokoroa a fair few number of times in the past few years, main reason I don't stop is timing, too early to stop for lunch on the trip from Akl to Wlg, and too late to stop on the trip back.

The EV charging idea certainly has merit, especially if you can become an early adopter & get folks into a habit of stopping at an easy-to-use place. Free would certainly attract some folks.
joeseph

Postby greven » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:02 am

You will want a gimmick to generate some press - how about subsidising grid tie solar & advertise "green hours" when you can use the fast chargers for free & they are powered entirely from solar energy.
greven

Postby Perry » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 am

I wonder if any of the dim-bulbs at the council would deign to read this blog?

Unlikely.

Probably just because they want to claim the credit for any ideas which get implemented.
Perry

Postby Greg » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Sorry to express a bit of a downer on Tokoroa, but in the dozens of times I've passed there the only time I ever stopped was for a potty break (and spent a few bucks on some cold beer cos I wasn't driving). I mean really, simply driving past the town you get quite enough of a look-see at the trees, cos that's about all there is, isn't it?
Greg

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Greg wrote:Sorry to express a bit of a downer on Tokoroa, but in the dozens of times I've passed there the only time I ever stopped was for a potty break (and spent a few bucks on some cold beer cos I wasn't driving). I mean really, simply driving past the town you get quite enough of a look-see at the trees, cos that's about all there is, isn't it?

So would you stop to climb to the top of a building that gave you an elevated look at SH1 and some shops in the town centre? :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column