Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Tokoroa, EV-central? (2 Feb, 2018)

Postby Muscular Jam » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:37 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:So would you stop to climb to the top of a building that gave you an elevated look at SH1 and some shops in the town centre? :-)
I certainly wouldn't. I stopped twice in the weekend while passing through. On the way south it was the toilets at Dunham Park (much nicer than those by the info centre) and then little miss Jam prevailed upon me to go through the McD drivethrough. On the return journey I looked wistfully at the sign pointing to the airfield and pondered seeing if you were about, but being shy and having little miss with me decided to carry on to the BP to gas up. I sometimes grab some food from the takeaways at Leith Place. A couple of EV chargers by the info site sounds like a great idea. People might kill 15 minutes waiting for a charge by looking at the brochures at the info site and who knows what that might lead to?
Muscular Jam

Postby latewings » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 am

So would you stop to climb to the top of a building that gave you an elevated look at SH1 and some shops in the town centre? :-)

Tirau, just a few more minutes along the road should be suffering the same fate as Tokoroa, but every time I go through there it's crowded with little parking available. What's different between the two?

Possibly the large attractions built from white corrugated iron that makes people want to stop and have a look?

Nothing in Tokoroa screams to the drivers to stop and check out the place. Hence it's a convenience stop at best.
latewings

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:17 am

The difference may be the "by-pass effect."

Most days, it's difficult to drive through Tirau at 35k, never mind 50k.

The main street almost takes on a semblance of a pedestrian mall, at times.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 am

Yes, if the reduction of SH1 to a single lanes through Tokoroa then I expect that it-too will become a prime candidate for a bypass.

The real problem (that nobody seems to be considering) is that getting out of Tok onto SH1 will become an utter nightmare at certain times of the day and year.

When SH1 is chocka with holiday traffic heading to/from Auckland/Taupo, going to a single lane will make for a huge bottleneck as people (locals and visitors) try to get back on. Right now there are two lanes so merging is easy -- take that down to a single lane however and you'll have Auckland motorway-style congestion happening here. It's hard enough getting across or onto SH1 when using roads outside the CBD (where SH1 is just a single lane each way) so this has the potential to become a real disaster.

When the local council promoted a pristine blue spring of dramatic natural beauty, not one single one of them stopped to think "what will happen if this promotion is successful and large numbers of people come?" -- as a result, the area suffers from crumbling banks, massive amounts of litter, theft from vehicles and people actually swimming in this spring, stirring up mud and silt.

Now we have the same administrators saying "let's build this thing" with zero consideration for the real consequences and the potentially very negative impacts it could have.

This council never considers contingencies or long-term effects in any of its brilliant schemes -- and the results are 100% predictable.

Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 am

i would like to throw in
tradition / habit
people have been stopping at the tearooms in tirau since < 1960s

also .. and in tokeroa's case quite relevant
if a town has a bad reputation for any number of reasons you are pushing shit uphill to try to get people to change their minds and stop there
classic case example between the shops at kawakawa and the ghost town 5 ks away of morewa ... both have highway 1 going through the middle ... morewa has better parking access .. yet ~5 cars parked .. normally 1 of which is a police vehicle is all there usually is
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Previous

Return to Today's column