On the eve of destruction? (5 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

On the eve of destruction? (5 Mar, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0305.shtml

Is Russia bluffing with its talk of fancy new invincible nuclear armed and powered weapons?

Are those weapons really anything other than some fancy CGI and a few 3D-renderings?

Is this a dangerous game?

Might the USA use this as an excuse for some military action that the entire world would live (or die) to regret?

Or will the survival instinct mean that even Trump and Vlad will never press the big red button?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: On the eve of destruction? (5 Mar, 2018)

Postby Malcolm » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:11 am

Didn't the Americans design and test a prototype nuclear engine for a cruise missile? From memory it was test fired on a platform in the desert somewhere. Apparently the generals were so appalled by the trail of fallout it left behind it that they scrapped the whole project.
As for the latest announcement supposedly the graphics shown were about ten years old. Although despite all the money poured in to it the US missile defense program there are doubts it can shoot down anything much more than a tame drone used for testing. So any functional ICBM can probably punch through it.
Malcolm

Postby joeseph » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am

Don't see Putin's announcements as being anything out of the ordinary really, there is a lot of tech on both sides of the world that we don't get to see.

I have my doubts about the effectiveness of any anti-missile defence system though, rules are same as cyber warfare
i.e. the defender needs to win 100% of the time whereas the attacker needs to succeed only once...
joeseph

Postby hagfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 am

Now that access to Low Earth Orbit is getting relatively cheap, I wonder how long it will be before states start (quietly) building weapon systems in space. A simple 500Kg titanium bolt hitting a target at 8Km/s would make a decent bang, with no nasty fallout. SpaceX's recent launch of Northrop Grumman's weapon would be an example of this. Oh, but of course it 'failed' :|
hagfish

Postby phill » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval

i was wondering if the underwater drone was in this family

its fairly old tec now but still pretty impressive

making it also a slow speed drone solves a lot of these problems
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... rpedo.html

and the yanks having a go as well
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ubble.html
( warning DM alert )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby JonL » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Coming from any other world leader, I'd call bullshit on most of these announcements. Coming from Putin, I'd take them more seriously. Putin doesn't generally bullshit - if he announces it, the chances are above 90% that it exists, it works and it's near to, if not in service. The hypersonic missiles are in service already, with a Mig 31 squadron in SW Russia.
It is a threat - to the US and NATO, to back off. Don't equate US military spending with effectiveness.
Also remember, it was the US who withdrew from the ABM treaty in 2002, which ensured a measure of stability in international affairs for 30 yrs.
JonL

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm

hagfish wrote:A simple 500Kg titanium bolt hitting a target at 8Km/s would make a decent bang, with no nasty fallout
I imagine half a tonne of titanium would make a decent bang at any speed ;)
Muscular Jam

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Like Phil, I latched onto the underwater torpedo/drone thought. Except I don't think they need to be high speed if they can dawdle along on the currents plus solar power until they arrive in major enemy ports or near large population centers, where they park themselves on the sea floor or up-river a few kms and await further orders. Even a small nuke could do a lot of damage both physical and emotional. And while they are probably detectable with the right gear, who's looking?
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby phill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 am

JonL wrote:Coming from any other world leader, I'd call bullshit on most of these announcements. Coming from Putin, I'd take them more seriously. Putin doesn't generally bullshit - if he announces it, the chances are above 90% that it exists, it works and it's near to, if not in service. The hypersonic missiles are in service already, with a Mig 31 squadron in SW Russia.
It is a threat - to the US and NATO, to back off. Don't equate US military spending with effectiveness.
Also remember, it was the US who withdrew from the ABM treaty in 2002, which ensured a measure of stability in international affairs for 30 yrs.

ok seems pretty obvious why poot the poisoner announced them at this time
also seems he is afraid of some foreign state sponsored get back
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column