Forced software sales? (12 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Forced software sales? (12 Mar, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0312.shtml

Is Magix evil or just incompetent?

Why has my otherwise perfectly good copy of Movie Studio Platinum version 14 started to regularly crash if it's started while connected to the interwebs?

Why does this odd behaviour coincide (to the day) with the manufacturer's push to get V14 users to buy into V15?

Is this a cunning attempt to force people to buy the new version or are the programmers at Magix just so useless that the code which produces the pop-up "buy now" box has had some unintended consequences and if so, why do those consequences only affect the rendering process?

It's all rhetorical anyway because this idiocy has convinced me to jump ships to a far more capable (and potentially *free*) piece of code called Davinci Resolve.

Now I just have to embrace the learning curve (ugh!).

Have you heard of any other instances where code with a perpetual (as opposed to annual) license craps out as soon as a newer version (requiring a paid upgrade) becomes available?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Forced software sales? (12 Mar, 2018)

Postby goosemoose » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 am

I bet you they're gearing up to move to the cloud. It seems a lot of formally standalone software is trying do this, even software where the cloud is completely unnecessary. I see a lot of accounting software is heading down this road. Of course the end game in cloud software is the subscription model. Any software I buy has to be non-cloud for this reason.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 pm

If ever I'm having problems with Adobe's Creative Suite, unplugging the network cable often makes them disappear. I like to blame all that clever 'up-sell' stuff that Adobe wants me to sign up for. Sometimes it's hard to separate simple ineptitude from actual customer hostility.
hagfish

Postby stoatwblr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Microsoft got to be ubiquitous not by being perfect but by being "good enough" to do the job and being cheap, with one-off costs.

Interestingly, they were up against companies which frequently wanted to charge annual licensing fees or forced you to update, etc.

Of course, once they got to be dominant they moved to the same models that the incumbents they'd ousted used. It looks like you've run into Yet Another Company which decided this was an ethical way of doing business and took advantage of the ability to phone home to do it (a lot of software these days won't work _unless_ it can phone home.)
stoatwblr

Postby phill » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm

stoatwblr wrote: (a lot of software these days won't work _unless_ it can phone home.)

exactly the reason i will never get involved with valve / steam or any of the other so called drm protectors

i bought at least an order of magnitude more games when i could pirate to try before buy

than i do now where i have to either go in blind and or have a steam account
( ubisoft's silent hunter 5 .. a real crappy release .. was the last straw for me )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column