You are not going to believe this! (14 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

You are not going to believe this! (14 Mar, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0314.shtml

Could they actually be right this time?

Might we really be on the brink of practical fusion-based electricity generation?

Will man-made fusion reactors start contributing to the world's energy needs by 2033 as promised by MIT?

Or have we heard all this too many times before to believe that it's anything other than an attempt to round up extra funding capital?

Have their been any real breakthroughs in fusion reactor design since the 1960s?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: You are not going to believe this! (14 Mar, 2018)

Postby Weasel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 pm

There might be something to fusion yet, some serious money is being thrown at the problem.

How much did the US and other countries invest in developing nuclear fission before power generation became a commercially viable option in todays money? Keeping in mind that there are still superfund sites cleaning up the mess (the Hanford site in eastern Washington is but one example) of developing the technology.
Weasel

Postby keyman26 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm

flying "cars" on the other hand....... http://www.zdnet.com/article/kitty-hawk ... w-zealand/
keyman26

Postby latewings » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:42 pm

keyman26 wrote:flying "cars" on the other hand....... http://www.zdnet.com/article/kitty-hawk ... w-zealand/

Saw that recently too. The parasitic drag from those nacelles must be huge once the standard Bernoulli lift kicks in. I'd be interested to know MTOW and Vne on that machine.

EFATO would be interesting too, does it autorotate? I doubt it as those vertical blades look fixed pitch.

I'll stick to the R22 and C172 for my aviation pleasure.
latewings

Postby phill » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:12 pm

i thought it was just a dodecacopter and will drag like any multi rotor vehicle
im guessing it will be short hops only so probably not a great issue
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 pm

I have to laugh about they hype surrounding all this. Apparently, NZ has a fantastic regulatory framework that makes this sort of testing possible here.

Yet strangely enough, we're just about the only country in the world that requires permission from property owners to fly a toy over any piece of land and the only country which doesn't differentiate between children's toys, recreational drones and commercial operations.

It's also kind of ironic that some around the world view us as world-leading in aviation, even though our national icon is a flightless bird and our government wasted almost $1m on the lame duck that is the MJP.

I think we have a bunch of bureaucrats and politicians that can be easily swayed by a sharp suit and a glossy brochure :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muscular Jam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:I have to laugh about they hype surrounding all this. Apparently, NZ has a fantastic regulatory framework that makes this sort of testing possible here.
hmm, the article states "Kitty Hawk has been conducting a series of stealth test flights in New Zealand sincaDe October, the Times reports." Were the test flights done in stealth to stop the CAA imposing their fantastic regulatory framework?
Muscular Jam

Postby phill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 am

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.a ... ness%2cnur

i have to ask
kinder to the planet than what ?
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 am

I have yet to meet *anyone* who'd be game to fly in one of these.

Why not an electric helicopter instead?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0314.shtml

Have their been any real breakthroughs in fusion reactor design since the 1960s?

The annoying thought is that we’ve had a fully functional fusion reactor all along, hovering in the sky every day. Image how much further ahead we would have been if all those gazillions had been devoted to solar and battery technology instead of chasing wild geese.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Next

Return to Today's column