Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Postby Robp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:06 pm

I am really skeptical about the story, as there were absolutiely no details. Manufacturers like DJI don't allow you to fly near an airport anyway, so if it did occur, then I think it is either a cheap brand, or has been hacked.. I think it is all very political with stories drip fed into the media every so often, to give these types of products a bad name, and to create fear amongst the public. When people now see a drone or hear them discussed, they seem to panic that they are being spied on, and that it is an evil device. Bu thte fact is that most things have risk with them. Law changes occurred with lasers, but that hasn't stopped problems. The same thing happens with ATVs, where the media seem to want the laws changed regarding ATVs. Amazing that with the NZ media, there aren't the same constant barrage of stories on gun control, where there are gun related incidents that can lead to injury or death occurring all the time. I think it is double standards.
Robp

Postby Robp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Yes, and it's interesting to note the stark similarites between the attitude to this new-fangled "drone" technology and those new fangled "horseless carriages" when they first started to appear.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat its mistakes :(

The other thing is that drones potentially can take away work from planes and helicopters, where they are needed to inspect something from the air, or deliver a payload. Some relatively cheap drones now even do aerial spraying, so you don't need to use a helicopter for difficult to access locations. So potentially saves Kiwis a lot of money. I do wonder if lobbying from groups is partly behind this mass hysteria with drones? I think lobbying should be banned in NZ.
Last edited by Robp on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robp

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 pm

Definitely a lot of FUD in play.
Perry

Postby joeseph » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Looking forwards to your article about Rod Vaughan (aka Bob Jones' punching bag) claiming that his aircraft was hit by a drone, smashed the windscreen & downed the plane.
Or was that just a previously cracked windscreen shattered, and a shocked pilot made some poor decisions about where to land.
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Oh yes... I loved that incisive piece of objective journalism.

It can't have been a bird because he saw no birds.

But he also saw no drones so it was probably a drone.

The man's logic is impeccable!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:43 pm

just saw the prime news view on it

basically he saw nothing but swears it was a drone

how could you not see a drone hitting the windscreen
how could 2 people both see nothing

he is also claiming it was consistent with a drone hitting at right angles to the planes movement
so this drone must have been huge and fast as well as invisible

did we go and buy some predators while i was away ?
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 pm

I wonder if he's on the payrol of NZALPA? :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm

no he is on the payroll of nz press association
which clicks more

drone brings down aircraft

windscreen breaks on small plane forcing pilot to land

and lets face it
nowadays they can write whatever they wish and it will still not alter their credibility
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 pm

A commenter on the Stuff story raised this very cogent point:

Rob Vaughan, the pilot of the 140Kph microlight which it is claimed was hit by a drone told the media "spotting a drone while flying is nearly impossible"

Yet, despite being "nearly impossible" at 140Kph, the pilot of the AirNZ 777 approaching Auckland airport at 300Kph on Sunday managed not only to see a drone but also determine that it passed within 5m of his aircraft.

Hmmm... those AirNZ pilots truly are gods amongst men!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby 4765656B » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Yes, Rod Vaughan comments seem to be wild conjecture on what MIGHT have caused his windscreen to crack. Forget evidence, forget investigation - I've seen a drone before, that must be it!!! At least the CAA have withheld comment until they have done some investigation...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12022573
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/102701412/pilot-says-drone-likely-cause-in-waihi-plane-crash

<pedant>
140Kph microlight

140 Kelvin pico hecto? What the... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units#Prefixes 140 km/h

</pedant>
4765656B

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column