Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Postby Perry » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:35 pm

4765656B wrote:Yes, Rod Vaughan comments seem to be wild conjecture on what MIGHT have caused his windscreen to crack. Forget evidence, forget investigation - I've seen a drone before, that must be it!!! At least the CAA have withheld comment until they have done some investigation.

The story was replete with conjecture, rank speculation, vague hypothesis and airy presumption.

But he's an ex-broadcaster, for chrissakes! ;)
Perry

Postby phill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:45 pm

ahhhhh

so thats where he got it from

got it now
inspeculative journalism .. nz styles
cheers
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby latewings » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:28 am

"spotting a drone while flying is nearly impossible"

I was on my way back to NZNE from L168 (Riverhead forest low flying area) in an R22 at 1200ft and spotted a falcon close by while doing 85kts (157kph).

There's the North Shore model aircraft club site on Greens Road in Silverdale where I can easily see airborne models from a respectable distance away. If you have reasonable eyesight and in proper VFR mode you can see small things easily enough.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:32 am

latewings wrote:If you have reasonable eyesight and in proper VFR mode you can see small things easily enough.

Unless, it seems, you're an investigative journalist with a microlight license :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Logical Fallacy Much?

Postby Perry » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:36 pm

The report I saw indicated that it was conjecture.

Of the "I didn't see what it was so it must've been a drone" type.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 pm

And now Mr Vaughan claims that "this was an accident waiting to happen"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=12022802

Seriously, the way he's so very quick to jump to conclusions must surely throw his entire carreer as an "investigative journalist" into question.

This recall wasn't for the A22 but you have to wonder if perhaps the latches on that model suffered the same problems and maybe, just maybe, one of the doors blew open in flight. If that happened, Mr Bernoulli would have entered the equation and the high-speed (180kph propwash) stream of air flowing past the narrow gap that was created would have resulted in a drop of internal pressure in the cabin. This, combined with the pressure on the front of the windscreen, age, possible small cracks around the mounting points that weren't detected, and vibration from the engine *may* have produced the spontaneous shattering of the windscreen.

Or... it could have been a falling meteor... after all, we know that 1500 people have been injured by falling meteors in the past 5 years but nobody has been injured as a result of a drone hitting an aircraft -- so simple commonsense says it's far more likely to have been the former than the latter (LOL).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Bruce wrote:The way he's so very quick to jump to conclusions must surely throw his entire carreer as an "investigative journalist" into question.

There's sure to be a difference between investigative of others and investigative of self. :twisted:
Perry

Postby phill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:25 pm

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=266670

OMG
they have drones picking cherries now
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby latewings » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 am

Unless, it seems, you're an investigative journalist with a microlight license

Not sure of the aircraft in question here, possibly a Tecnam or similar. The Rotax engine on those I believe has a cruise power setting around 2400RPM, so it's highly likely that anything hitting the windscreen would first pass through the prop spinning 40 times per second. At a cruise speed around 100kts its unlikely any remotely powered vehicle came from the side into the windscreen as you're travelling around 51 metres per second. (100kts = 185.2kph). Back of napkin maths means the vehicle moves 1.25m per full revolution of the prop. However with two blades that leaves a window of opportunity around 750mm for a model to pass through in 1/80th of a second. Possible, but the chances of the drone missing the prop, then missing the cowling then hitting the pilot windscreen and then not embedding itself in the face of the pilot is somewhat slim.

However, if indeed it was a drone that bounced off the shattering windscreen, then somewhere in a field close by there should be two halves of a drone, or the scattered remnants of one. There should also be some indentation or scratch marks on one blade of the prop if it did meet it's end that way.

I've hit birds before in a Cessna 172. Mostly they get halved as they say hello to the sharp spinny thing up the front, then spread bits of themselves over the cowling and windscreen. It's not pleasant and does make a little noise on impact.

Could also have been a coconut being carried by a Swallow. (European variety)
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am

I was surprised that they were able to just throw the plane and associated broken bits on a trailer and drive it away without CAA having done an on-site investigation (given that this was an injury-accident).

You're right about the prop. If you see my video on the A22 you'll notice that the prop disk is very large and thus *anything* hitting the windscreen would have to pass through it. This would almost certainly produce some damage to the leading edge of one or more prop blades; damage of a type that would not be caused by the prop contacting soft ground in a tip-over at low power setting.

I note that on my latest rant video, someone commented that these windscreens are very flimsy and that he'd recently had to replace one so the possibility of spontaneous material failure seems the most likely situation here.

Of course it could also have been a low-flying locomotive... since neither Mr Vaughan nor his son saw one of those in the moments before the crash either :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column