Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Postby Malcolm » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:10 am

Does anyone know where Sir Bob Jones was at the time? I don't think we can count him out just yet. He did after all say in court he would like to punch him again.
Malcolm

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:13 am

Drones used to smuggle $110 million in smartphones from Hong Kong

What am I not getting?

The drones carried a bit of string across the border. The string was later used akin to a flying fox to shift contraband.

But no! Drones were used to do the smuggling!
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:10 am

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am

interesting shot of the upper left corner of the screen

since breakages are extremely unlikely to end in that sort of pattern
it must have been the start of it
which coincides with his idea of a side hit
so from the pics shown and the failure track i would "GUESS" that it was a progressive crack failure from left to right
and having read the manual on windscreen replacement for an f28 ... friken pages of instructions and procedures ( a mate took me to work at mascot airport the day he was replacing one ) it looks like some of the warnings and procedures were not followed on that particular one during installation, maintenance or checking
and the doors that were "blown off from the impact" were instead the more boringly "pushed out due to a higher cabin pressure differential than they were designed to survive "
Last edited by phill on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Rank Speculation

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Ex-investigative reporter wrote: Vaughan said he doubted "the smoking gun" would ever be found but still believed drone strike was the "most plausible explanation" and was pleased to see investigators taking the theory seriously. "However, I doubt that it will ever be resolved as no one is going to put their hand up and admit to almost killing two people."

Question begging logical fallacy, etc.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:47 pm

I wonder why he doesn't do his own investigative report on this incident and dig up evidence?

Because there is none?

Because he's not really a true investigative reporter?

Because he's full of shite?

Or all of the above :)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12027587

There seems to be many copy-cat incidents flying around right now and the 'I think it was a drone that done it" baseless reporting is not helping the situation. It's only going to get worse.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 pm

If these pilots want to add credibility to their reports -- where the hell are the videos? Surely someone can throw a GoPro on the windscreen of their 777 or A320 when coming into Auckland International and give us some evidence. Until then, it's hearsay.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:42 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=12029246

this one just beggars belief .. it also shows some unintended knowledge
first the knowledge .. if they had to check to see if a drone had been sucked through the turbines they are admitting they know they would have little to no noticeable effect from it

next to our big brave air force
holy crap they run scared from a drone that was a good 10 ks from the base
that is just a slap in the face to the memory of our ww2 pilots that we lost so many of ( they really were brave )

if we get attacked im practising holding my hands up cause this lot will be running to fast for me
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:27 am

If this was a genuine incident then the drone pilot should have the book thrown at him.

However, if people start crying "ban them", "register them" or "tougher regulation" then they should cry the same about student pilots because although we've had "sightings" of drones from helicopters, we have never had this: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5846801 ... -collision or this: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3959609 ... dair-crash or this: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9442693 ... agic-crash

Yep, we're all hot under the collar about drone "sightings" from planes and helicopters but we seem to forget that manned aircraft actually HAVE collided in the past with fatal results and producing extreme danger for those on the ground below. Funny though... we don't see much call for the banning or tougher regulation for the REAL, PROVEN dangers... just the perceived ones.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column