Does anyone remember the internet? (29 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Does anyone remember the internet? (29 Mar, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0329.shtml

Holster your shootin iron and put your clothes back on cowboy... the internet has changed!

Yes, we've gone from a lawless wild frontier to a bustling environment which, it would seem, is increasingly subject to the rulings of prudes.

Am I the only one who misses the wide open spaces and freedoms that were a part of what made the Net what it is today?

Who else remembers trawling through the endless list of usenet group names and thinking "oh my God, that can't be right"?

And who else remembers being able to spend hours online without seeing a single ad or worring that your ever move was being pawed over by a bunch of government-authorised spooks in a darkened office somewhere?

Will we eventually see a return to a somewhat more liberated Net... or will this pendulum be on a one-way trip?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone remember the internet? (29 Mar, 2018)

Postby granada29 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 am

Sadly Bruce, I think things will continue to to become more restricted and the pendulum will continue on its current swing for the foreseeable future.

At the moment my friends think I am 'odd' because I don't use facebook (I actually have an account - used it for 3 months and then stopped logging on to the site). The powers-that-be love facebook - everyone centralised and constantly using their personal trackers (cell phone) to inform the world at large where they are, what they are doing and what they are thinking. People lap it up along with organisations such as Cambridge Analytics.

Recently I have been watching that famous documentary series 'Yes Minister' - just as relevant today as it was 30 years ago. It pre-dates the wide-spread use of the Internet but the attitudes expressed then are the same as those expressed today. The only legislation that proceeds is that which will garner more votes or campaign/party contributions - hence the FOSTA and SESTA acts.

Keep people in their nice little boxes (facebook, youtube etc), control what they they see and are allowed to think and hang on to power at any cost.

The stance being taken by Microsoft wrt to Skype is a bit of a worry - so much for secure communication when it seems they can at will eavesdrop on your conversations.

The olden-days internet didn't have much in the way of privacy. Encryption software was banned for export by the US government and it took some hardy souls to buck that. Usenet relied on base64 and rot13 encoding to obscure dubious stuff and port 443 was unused. SSH and rsync had yet to be invented - telnet/ftp ruled the day. I am sure the NSA were ramping up their surveillance efforts even then. At the time they were an unknown top-secret organisation within the US cluster of TLAs and were unknown until Jimmy Carter inadvertently made mention of them.

But yes - I miss the Internet as it was in the early 1990s - the baby and the bathwater have long since vanished down the plug-hole.
granada29

Postby Stevesub » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:49 am

My guess is the the Dark Web will still be there in the future for those that cannot get their fix for whatever on the sanitized real web. Not that I know how to get anything on the Dark Web and don't really want to know.

Bur the real worry is how much of the real web be sanitized and sterilized, especially if the Pollies get in on the act and ban anything or censor everything but what they want you to see.
Stevesub

Postby decibel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:44 am

I am not so sure - yes, there have been cities that have sprung up where previously there were none but the frontier is still there; it has just moved further away.
decibel

Postby hagfish » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 pm

US lawmakers seem to have abrogated all responsibility to their constituents, with regard to privacy, rights, and general enforcement of good corporate behaviour. It's almost as if they've been captured by lobbyists... The EU has taken up that mantle on our behalf. I've received a flurry of emails over the last week or so, as the myriad US-based services I use all scramble to update their privacy policies ahead of the EU's General Data Protection Regulation coming into force in May. It used to be we could at least rely on California to set the agenda, but now we have to look even further west.
hagfish

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:01 pm

hagfish wrote: It used to be we could at least rely on California to set the agenda, but now we have to look even further west.

Given the state of GeorgeBushland, I'm not sure which is the worst evil.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:00 am

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:31 am

Looks like we’re gonna have to encrypt everything
-Bzr1mH@35D.@B-@ Y5!8_Ih7wK @_A58n3_99!-u!.xwUW5-jN7U5!@ ox!oD1Y3_-C5_@PZ58_@7Lu9B !HXji!bR5d7_Nv2B3_99!-u!.xwUW5-jN7U5!@ox!oD1Y3_-C5_@PZ58_@ 7Lu9B!HXji!bR5d7_Nv2BsW63q!N. 4e5WW3dK@R62m0Oo49423X_0sM3 C_KeU!I078!89G__OmUCbS1!S0X884e5WW3dK @R62m0Oo49423X_0s

(Interesting, I hopped onto the App Store to load a Random Char Generator onto this iPad and found there were none on offer. Oodles of random number gens, for Lotto & other gambling. Did find one Password Gen... Sad!)
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby mad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:07 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0329.shtml

Yes, we've gone from a lawless wild frontier to a bustling environment which, it would seem, is increasingly subject to the rulings of prudes.

And who else remembers being able to spend hours online without seeing a single ad or worring that your ever move was being pawed over by a bunch of government-authorised spooks in a darkened office somewhere?

Bruce the early internet was never the "wild west" it was basically a big liberal experiment, but in the background the US government always lurked, specifically though the NSF,

The reason there were no ads on the early internet, was the US backbone was NSFNET and as an academic institution it had a "no commerce" mandate, -
of course the demise of this was nicely bookmarked by the then notorious "green card" lottery incident....
mad

Return to Today's column