On the edge of oblivion? (12 Apr, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

On the edge of oblivion? (12 Apr, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0412.shtml

Will Trump honour his threats to launch missiles against Russian targets in Syria?

Will Putin honour his promises to shoot down those missiles and attack any ship or plane which launches them?

Are we really on the edge of a superpower fight -- or do both sides run far too much risk of ending up with egg all over their faces if their much touted military technologies fail to deliver?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: On the edge of oblivion? (12 Apr, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am

April again. Time for another chemical attack, and to clear out a few old Tomahawks to make way for the new batch. The US might send in a few dozen missiles (after a suitable warning, of course), but I expect we will see about as much fire and fury as we did with DPRK.

I would suggest that an enemy that's exposed as being feeble is bad for business. There's no need to cannon-up if the enemy has no fangs. Maybe they'll blow up another cafeteria, and call it good for another year.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 am

Well, Israel fired off 8 Tomahawks at an airbase a couple of days ago, and 5 were shot down by Syrian defence systems. It seems the French are keen to have a go, so, proxies to the fore?
After all, it's the American way....
JonL

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 am

"rely on the USA's allies to launch an attack, thus carefully ensuring that the might and reputation of the USA's technology isn't put on the line"

That would be a rational response.

And you're expecting this from Trump...
Hiro Protagonist

Postby phill » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 am

apparently since the latest chem attack russia has been jamming the us drones in syria ( varying degrees of success depending on the particular drones specs )

last i heard the us were putting together a strike coalition

a little investigation shows all the coalition team members have stealth attack drones in their inventory

a logical plan would be a surgical strike on just one person ( family extras a bonus )
however we do not yet seem to have reached enlightened sterility point yet ( taking out errant leaders and leaving the traditional cannon fodder alone )

so maybe it will be combined stealth drone strikes on military targets ... cause 10 million peasants are still less worth than risking a retaliatory strike on themselves to our dear leaders

its that hook of .. and whatever launched them that will create a sticking point to using cruise missiles ( as it was supposed to )

putin has no more loyalty to assad than he has to the last bit of toilet paper he used .. useful for awhile but less valuable now .. he has just taken the opportunity to use him for the game .. if i .. when i .. can i .. so i .. then i .. perhaps he likes roborally as well
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:30 pm

In January they were supposed to be terrified of North Korea (http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0116.shtml). Now its April and they are supposed to be terrified of Russia. What threat will be manufactured next to keep their population under control? At this rate I'm picking a major bust-up with Iran in July. Or a potential attack by swarms of killer bees.
Muscular Jam

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Don’t know about you, but I’m terrified by America!!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:31 am

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:03 am

that he was all bluff and blunder and nothing would come of it
phill

Postby phill » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm

ok that was supposed to be tongue in cheek
still there are some interesting questions coming up

like why take 70 mins to do something that could have been timed to a 60 second bracket
omg taking that long would allow them to fire every defence missile they had then reload all the spares and fire them as well .. what would that achieve

now poots is in the same spot .. respond how and with what

spot the moving lips

The Russian military has said that Western allies fired 103 cruise missiles including Tomahawk missiles at Syria but that Syrian air defence systems managed to intercept 71 of them.
"All together, 103 cruise missiles were deployed," senior military officer Sergei Rudskoi said at a briefing in Moscow. "Seventy-one cruise missiles were intercepted."

At a briefing on Saturday, the Russian defence ministry couldn't resist a little boast, claiming that 71 of 103 missiles were intercepted, but insisted it was Soviet-made Syrian air defence systems, not Russian ones, that had come into direct conflict with the West. It claimed that Syrian troops and civilians had not borne any casualties, and damage to infrastructure was limited.
---------
Pentagon officials said that 105 missiles had been fired in the strike at the three targets.
They said that the Syrians had shot 40 missiles into the air in response but mostly after the strike was complete - and that to the best of their knowledge “no Syrian weapon had any effect on anything we did”.
phill

Next

Return to Today's column