A Tesla crash (3 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A Tesla crash (3 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 03, 2018 7:22 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0503.shtml

Could Tesla have burnt through all its money and be all washed up by Christmas?

Might it be that, having created a market for practical EVs, Tesla is about to lose that market to other car makers who can leverage their existing expertise and resources to start rolling out their own impressive EVs in a matter of months -- while Model-3 buyers wait ever-longer for their cars to be built and delivered?

Exactly what does Tesla have that Ford, Nissan, Honda or a raft of other established auto-makers can't reproduce?

And does Tesla's worrying lack of focus also raise red flags?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A Tesla crash (3 May, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 am

Tesla could really do with some of Steve Jobs' 'Reality Distortion Field'. By now, everyone knows that when Elon names a date, you can add an extra three or four years. He gets there in the end, tho. In years gone by, he's talked dreamily about how the limiting factor to production speed would be air-resistance, as robots whizz around, and cars fly along the assembly line. More recently, he's conceded that he over-relied on robotics, and actually needs more humans to tie things together.

Ford is stopping making passenger cars. Maybe they could acquire Tesla to fill that market. Or maybe Apple could pick Tesla up, to build out an Uber-killing autonomous ride-share fleet. Or maybe Elon will sort out the production woes, and the Model3 will start flying out the door. I'm not placing any bets, but I'm grabbing my popcorn.
hagfish

Postby phill » Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 am

join the world in lauding this brilliant innovative ceo
pity about the company though
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu May 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I wish he would focus on one thing. Launching Tesla’s into space may be a lot of fun but I would prefer to see the $$$$$$ spent on space or wormholes thru California devoted to cars & solar panel/tiles. Those areas will offer the most benefit to the most people.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby mad » Thu May 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Debt markets have pretty much priced in that Tesla will have to go to the market to raise capital ( or further debt) , probably by the end of the year.

Tesla have bet the farm on the model 3, and if they can't get them out to door as they promised they get themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place,

Tesla need the cash from model 3 sales to fund further production increases, but some time in 2018 they will cross the 200K limit triggering a phase down of federal subsidies for customers i.e their price will rise

Also they don't actually make much money on their base model 35K , they need upsells, (auto drive, larger battery, 4WD etc, to make the big $)

Because they have a *huge* list of "reservations" (~400,000), even if they could start making 5000 a week, anyone walking into a dealer has an 18 month wait... and given the large number of competitors bring out offerings at similar prices ( Leaf 2.0, eGolf, Gm Bolt etc) new customs are likely to walk "across the street" to another vendor if they actually have cash and want an EV they can actually drive away in....
mad

Postby joeseph » Thu May 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Given Jacindas' driveway seems to be populated alternately with a Tesla or a Hyundai, I'd say there will be a concerted push in the near future for electric
(either that or they're just setting up to avoid a "not new" Auckland petrol tax) ;)
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Yes, it's rather hypocritical that the "for the little people and the poor" Labour party seem quite happy with a tax which hits the poorest the hardest. How many blue-collar workers or beneficiaries do you know with a Tesla in the garage? :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Amazing how quickly today’s big news is this afternoon’s fish & chip wrapping*
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/02/te ... -to-climb/
Note too the link in the article listing the sales of various EVs. In spite of the gloom, despond and falls of toads, Tesla are still top seller, at least in the USofA.
(*Back in the day anyway )
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby joeseph » Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Yes, it's rather hypocritical that the "for the little people and the poor" Labour party seem quite happy with a tax which hits the poorest the hardest. How many blue-collar workers or beneficiaries do you know with a Tesla in the garage? :-)

none.
I suspect given her position and the likely ar$3licking that goes on, that she doesn't actually own either vehicle I've seen in the driveway. The boat, yes...
Be interesting to see if the GCSB has bought the house next door (been on the market for ages, vastly overpriced I might add)
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 04, 2018 8:48 am

It seems that Mr Musk isn't helping much at the moment:

Elon Musk's 'boring bonehead' jibe knocks $4bn off Tesla (Telegraph).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column