Peak cow? (7 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Peak cow? (7 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0507.shtml

If government moves to put the brakes on our dairy industry, what alternative industries do we have that are ready and able to make up the short-fall in export earnings?

And, considering that government restrictions are perhaps the least of the risks faced by the dairy industry, why haven't we worked very hard to prepare outselves for the day when dairy is hit hard... either by a pathogen, trade wars or simply a lack of demand due to technological advances or other countries ramping up their own levels of production?

Does anyone even see this threat to our financial security looming on the horizon or are our politicians asleep at the wheel?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Peak cow? (7 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 07, 2018 9:50 am

And it's always interesting to get The Daily Mail's take on such issues (pffft!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -cows.html
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Neither Industry is Safe

Postby Perry » Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 am

Other countries can increase their domestic production.
Trade wars can be minor and can sometimes be readily remedied.
A large Avgas price spike or airline pilots' strike can nobble tourism in the blink of an eye.
Nothing's easy.
Perry

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am

Other nations are also ramping up their^H^H^H^H^H our own dairy production (look at China for instance)

Fixed it for ya.
(whatever happened to [s]strikethrough[/s]?)
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Mon May 07, 2018 10:35 am

Tourism isn't a panacea, either. NZ is a 'long way' from anywhere. A Boeing 777 burns about 9000 litres of aviation kerosene per hour, and it takes many hours to get here from anywhere. Getting those 300 punters to NZ and back puffs out a lot of CO2, is vulnerable to economic jolts, and supports mostly minimum-wage jobs.

Meanwhile the dairy industry produces the equivalent effluent of roughly 90 million people, most of which gushes onto the ground. Fences don't keep nitrogen out of waterways... It does support one very handsomely paid job, however, so at least the destruction of our rivers isn't in vain.

It looks like our biggest export is going to be our land, as a new wave of multi-millionaire colonists looks for a southern bolt-hole. I'm sure there'll only be a few of them, and they'll let us keep our sovereignty :mrgreen:
hagfish

Postby greven » Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 am

One comment I found very interesting was from a Massey Uni ecologist - taxpayers are funding the deintensification of dairy farms. I can't find anything to confirm this either way.
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national ... s-national
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 am

Well you can bet your bottom dollar that NZ consumers will pay for this de-intensification.

If the yeild per hectare drops, farmers (or at least Fontera) will simply hike the price of dairy produce here in NZ so as to restore revenues. It's unlikely the same price hikes would be applied to export markets because it would make them uncompetitive but... at home... well you know how monopolies work :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 am

And never forget that it's a monopoly that was sanctified by the people's party comrades.
Perry

Postby phill » Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 am

lots of answers and methods / rules to address this problem
i used to get my milk from a farmer who farmed in a way that proved environmental impact can be a lot lower at zero cost to end of year net profit .. except for the corporation owned mega dairy farms
he uses the low input low output method .. very little fertiliser and soil conditioners .. low stocking rates .. high quality a2 milk
as opposed to the high input high output problem farms that turn super phosphate , urea and petrol into milk ... with forced huge stocking rates
he makes enough profit to keep his farm up to standard his herd in good shape and his family fed
as opposed to the mega farms that keep a ceo and board in clover and the farmers on them barely able to keep their family fed
most of the problems can be addressed with a bare minimum of thinking
the riparian border width set by fontera is nothing more than a joke .. its a start but no where near wide enough to mitigate the problems
the border for stock exclusion should be 50 meters for a < 10 meter waterway and 100 for > 10 meters .. the bank stabilisation by planting natives should be the first 10 meters ( riparian planting extended )
that leaves 40 meters that can be used for organic farm level inputs ( basically organic farming ) for horticulture .. it can be leased to veggie growers, used for winter and emergency feed ( hay, turnips etc ) or for insect tolerant fruit trees and vines ( zero spray ) .. that takes away the ... i will lose half my farm excuse used by the blinkered majority
this will require farmers to change how and what they farm
no biggie its not like that hasn't been continually happening since we first stopped roaming from cave to cave .. drive down a small country road that used to have 10 - 15 family dairy farms on it and now there are 2 or 3 on the same amount of land ... for years we have just been turning petrol and super phosphate into milk .. thats not always been a good thing .. and for obvious reasons its ( past ) time to change
the slow change ( barely perceptible movement ) that the farmers lobby have been dragged into is just furthering a problem that is extending the rehabilitation time by decades and billions more dollars

maybe i dont want to live in a toilet just to say i have a few more dollars !

warning .. rant may continue .. this is a major problem brought about by laziness greed and stupidity
Last edited by phill on Mon May 07, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 pm

phill wrote:maybe i dont want to live in a toilet just to say i have a few more dollars !

But it isn't for you to have a few more dollars, it is for a few individuals to have a few more dollars, but for the rest of us to live in a toilet.
Malcolm

Next

Return to Today's column