Live each day as if it's your last (9 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Live each day as if it's your last (9 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0509.shtml

Ah... it's a bugger but what can you do?

There are definitely some changes ahead for me and the work I do but I see Parkinson's as a challenge rather than an obstacle. In fact, it's kind of empowering and I now feel a sense of freedom that I will be able to take risks that I'd never have considered reasonable before.

Rules? No rules... except those imposed by commonsense and an obligation to protect others.

How would you deal with knowing that you only have a few short years of productivity ahead of you and that you'll likely end your life in a significant state of compromised physical ability?

I'll be living each day as if it were my last and hope to share the fun with everyone.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Live each day as if it's your last (9 May, 2018)

Postby latewings » Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am

I could not agree more. I do not plan to look back on my days and lament not doing something or other because it was considered potentially harmful. That's the reason I sit in a Robinson R22 and continue to learn to fly it. Yes there have been accidents and will continue to be accidents, but I'm mitigating that by continuing my learning path (to CPL) in the machine.

To the doom and gloom merchants who waste breath reminding me the Robinson statistics I ask if they've ever attended a funeral for someone killed in a car accident. Then ask how they got to the event.

I don't know if tomorrow I'll discover I have some lifespan limiting ailment. I'll continue to fill the sunlight (and sunset) hours I have with as much as I can muster. Like you Bruce I use the minutes ahead as best I can and enjoy the minutes behind with fondness. Whatever happens after today is for the future.

Carpe Diem.
latewings

Postby hagfish » Wed May 09, 2018 11:55 am

You're starting with plenty of altitude and air-speed. Keep the nose up, find a good thermal, and - fingers crossed - you'll ride a long way.

One of those walkers with wheels and brakes can help with those momentary losses of balance. You can power along, confident that the frame is there when you need it. It may seem like a big concession to the disease, but you have to look after those wrists! I suppose now would be the time to work on upper body strength, sort out some ramps, and find a spot that's handy to public transport/Uber rides etc. Speech therapy can help with the 'papery voice' thing - important for those video commentaries. Good on you for tackling this stuff head-on.

You've always been an Instigator of Fun, so I'm glad to see that's going to continue.
hagfish

Postby phill » Wed May 09, 2018 12:50 pm

being relatively free from the worry of lung cancers and other long term effects
i would probably spend time on researching the effects of the less addictive recreational drugs ( weed )
and out the bucket list tv series and my collections of .... the onedin line .. when the boat comes in .. hornblower .. sharpe's ... poldark .. dune / children of dune ... das boat mini series ( not movie ) all the rivers run 1 & 2 .. a bit chickflicky but who can resist steam paddle boats on the murray river system and be happy i will last till after the game of thrones finishes
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Stevesub » Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Bruce, just go for it and do what you want to do. We realized this several years ago and we are doing it, well I am as my wife is now not so capable or willing to do some of the things that I do so I go off on my own for periods of time - 6 weeks later this year in the outback of OZ for me, she is staying home (Oh the peace and quiet, looking forward to it). I am fortunate to still have good health but my wife is not so fortunate.

On thing that I think you mentioned a year or more ago, (yes old age has affected my memory) but make sure that you get the pension when you are old enough. It is there and is certainly worth while having. I seem to remember you stating that you would not be applying for the pension - and I may be wrong with that statement but do it anyway. It will help you do what you want to do.

When we are in NZ, we live in the Far North now where there are certain advantages along with disadvantages such as the distances we travel. Housing is certainly more affordable, there is a lot of wide open unpopulated spaces if you like beaches, etc. You will also find that your power bills will be considerably lower due to less heating required than Tokoroa.

Anyway once again, I just say go for it and get the pension when you can. You only get one life so make the most of it. Enjoy
Stevesub

Postby kermiedefrog » Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm

definitely look into 'medical' weed when the efficacy of the current meds is gone ... there is a lot of data out there on it ...

but definitely go have some big adventures ... my parents are always tripping around the country ... and my dad has a bucket full of pills he has to take each day ...

have fun
kermiedefrog

Postby Perry » Wed May 09, 2018 6:47 pm

When your meanderings have you heading towards Hastings or Napier, get in touch if a local guide could be helpful.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Perry wrote:When your meanderings have you heading towards Hastings or Napier, get in touch if a local guide could be helpful.

Will do. I expect to embark on this great journey early next year (when it's warmer).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby roygbiv » Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Do the tour Bruce, get out and about and enjoy yourself while you can. Away from SWDC territory and experience the beauty of the country we live in.
And, keep telling us all about it.
roygbiv

Return to Today's column