Hello... hello... operator? (29 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Hello... hello... operator? (29 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0529.shtml

How would you cope if your phones and internet service went out for a protracted period of time?

Have you spread your risk by using separate providers for different forms of electronic communications?

Do you still have a landline... perhaps as a backup?

Were you affected by Vodafone's extended outage yesterday, which affected both mobile and internet services provided by the company?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello... hello... operator? (29 May, 2018)

Postby mad » Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 am

I deliberately keep my fixed line and mobile on different providers,

and given that a VOIP based homeline is only $10 a month, its not really a major burden to have one, + you can have it ring on your mobile as an OTT service anyway..
mad

Postby Stevesub » Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 am

We have our mobiles and broadband with the same company with no landline in our NZ and OZ homes. However as some readers know, we live in 2 countries following the sun and warmth. This means we have mobile phones in 2 countries so our backup phones are the ones in the other country on roaming. The beauty of roaming is that you can be connected to any network so it would take all networks to be down at the same time for us to be stuffed. Likewise we could use data in an emergency as it does cost heaps when roaming.

FYI, my mobile in OZ is with a reseller on the Optus network and I am paying $A10 per month for unlimited calls to any landline or mobile in OZ plus 1GB of data. No contract and when I am in NZ, I put that phone on pre-pay which costs nothing if it is not used but keeps my number and phone active, a simple change on the net puts me back on my plan when I get back, etc.
Stevesub

Postby latewings » Tue May 29, 2018 10:16 am

ADSL with one provider (who's not part of the Spark backhaul) and a fibre connection with a separate provider into my house (aka dual gateways). Both have static IP addresses.

I use an Asterix VOIP phone system on one provider, so if one goes down I log into the SIP services provider and change the IP address so I can get phone calls. 30 seconds is all it will take. I have a couple of $10 pre-paid sim cards if I needed to swap mobile provider too, and I ensure the phones I buy are not locked - which is becoming more prevalent in the mobile market nowadays.

That and I have a couple of el-cheapo CB hand held units in the drawer when things really go bang. Not that they're powerful enough to get far in the urban sprawl but enough to be usable for a 1km.
latewings

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 am

Still have a landline, that mostly receives my Microsoft virus repair opportunities, as well as SKY, DVS, and switch-to-us opportunities that are really too good to miss out on!

Heck, even fledglings contact us via Skype these days, but I like to think the landline is still a backup worth having.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Stevesub » Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 am

My phones are all unlocked and like Latewings I also have a couple of handheld CB radios plus a handheld Marine radio plus the Marine radio in the boat in the backyard in NZ. At least I could make an emergency call on Channel 16 when I am close to the sea which is most places I go to in NZ and where I live in OZ. The handheld radios travel with me in both NZ and OZ. I also have an EPRIB that travels with us in the boat in NZ and also OZ outback (it is registered in both countries).

Not much more we can do unless I go HF radio or Sat phone.
Stevesub

Postby hagfish » Tue May 29, 2018 11:05 am

Still have a Mumline, but if the power goes out, the (cordless) phone will go with it. Even with a corded phone, I believe Spark are ripping the old PSTN gear out of their exchanges and moving to VOIP. A widespread powercut will take the redoubtable landline down regardless. I'm sure the new system will be great...until it isn't.
hagfish

Postby Grumpy » Tue May 29, 2018 11:16 am

This is something that has always worried me to the extent that I will not give up my landline. While my home phones are cordless I still retain an old style plugin phone for emergency purposes.
We have 3 different providers for cell-phones and will shortly be changing our internet provider.
Living in a rural area has many benefits but communication with the Big Smoke is not one of them!
Grumpy

Postby pid@ifm.net.nz » Tue May 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Actual old school copper PSTN connections are pretty much non-existant now.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/91700178/Spark-promises-minimal-disruption-as-it-prepares-to-scrap-landline-technology-from-1876

Even though it might be copper coming into your home still - it changes to an IP based service pretty quickly.
pid@ifm.net.nz

Postby kermiedefrog » Tue May 29, 2018 6:11 pm

I put my feet up and relax for a wee while in the peace and quiet ...

No landline, only cellie and naked wires
kermiedefrog

Next

Return to Today's column