It's been a while... another drone rant (30 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

It's been a while... another drone rant (30 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 30, 2018 11:50 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0530.shtml

Surely, if regulators are using a scientific, risk-based approach to creating regulations around drone-use, they would all come up with pretty much the same rules.

So how is it that the issue of "how close can you safely fly to an airport" seems to have produced so many varied responses?

Why is it that I can fly right next to an uncontrolled airport in Australia but I have to be at least 4Km away from the same class of airport here in New Zealand?

Why is it that in the USA, I simply need to tell the control tower I'll be flying with 5 miles of an airport but in New Zealand I simply and prevented from flying within 4Km at all?

Why is New Zealand pretty much the only country in the world which treats all airports as equal (controlled, uncontrolled, fixed-wing or helicopter) when other countries at least recognise that helipads do not require anything like the same exclusion radius due to the different flight characteristics of helicopters versus fixed-wing?

Surely, if protecting the world from drones is as important as is claimed, we deserve a far better quality of regulation than we're obviously getting.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: It's been a while... another drone rant (30 May, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Our CAA has a new minister. Julie Anne Genter is a smart cookie, very progressive, and - off-the-cuff remarks notwithstanding - she's learning fast. Get in quick, tho - she'll be having some time off, soon.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm still awaiting a response from Ms Genter... since last month.

I guess she's overwhelmed by her new responsibilities but I must be right at the front of the queue... since my first letter to her (via Twyford) was sent on April 30 and acknowledged on May 17th.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Wed May 30, 2018 1:22 pm

You weren't calling Phil Twyford on the morning of 17th May perchance to follow up on that letter?
latewings

Postby joeseph » Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:I'm still awaiting a response from Ms Genter... since last month.

I guess she's overwhelmed by her new responsibilities but I must be right at the front of the queue... since my first letter to her (via Twyford) was sent on April 30 and acknowledged on May 17th.

don't hold your breath - Wikipedia mentions: "On 18 February 2018 she announced that she is pregnant" so without implying that a woman is incapable of functioning a senior role immediately after child bearing, It wouldn't surprise me if the ministerial responsibility were handed on to some other person.
joeseph

Postby phill » Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 pm

if you think her snivel servant minders have protected her from the controversy ( it happens )
re send it through green party hq .. it will get to her that way

on the occasions i feel a note to a minister is required i always send a cc to the shadow minister
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column