UFB, routers and internet banking (1 Jun, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

UFB, routers and internet banking (1 Jun, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:55 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0601.shtml

Any tales of woe about getting connected to the UFB?

Is anyone surprised that the uptake is less than 50% of those who could connect? In fact, are you (like me) surprised that this percentage is as high as it is?

Have you rebooted your router? (Oh, now I sound like a Spark helpdesk droid :lol: )

And are you reassured by the banks claims that, even though they've struck out the explicit guarantees that you'll be reimbursed if you become a victim of internet fraud or hacking, they'll still play "Mr Nice Guy" in such an unlikely event?

Do you run AV software on your Linix box(es)??
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: UFB, routers and internet banking (1 Jun, 2018)

Postby phill » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:23 am

pretty much the same as you
im surprised that many have signed up
and
i dont run av on my linux .. purely because when an exploit is found they dont try to filter it out .. they rewrite the module so its stopped dead .. and in many cases before the av writers have come up with a fix

and i would be like the am indians when believing banks
"the only promise they kept was they promised to take our land and they took it" ... just swap land for money when referring to banks
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:36 am

How do you define anti-virus software?
On my Linux Machine I have SELinux active, rkhunter installed/monitoring for rootkits. I also have dabbled with Clam-AV but looking at the definitions updates it looks like it is mostly for scanning Samba hosts for windows malware.
How effective is any of that given we now have exploits in the silicon itself which can be taken advantage of in an OS agnostic fashion. E.G Intel ME exploits from last year and the recent ones such as Meltdown and Spectre?
As for UFB connection woes from what I have seen it is only special cases that have had issues. E.G shared driveway access, confusion over address (For some reason third house down the gravel road after the fish and chip shop doesn't work for the provisioning teams) Most regular houses are hooked up without incident fairly quickly now.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:40 am

I never use a web browser via my Windows PC for banking. The kids install all kinds of crap on those machines! They work better than they have any right to, but if I'm on TradeMe or whatever and want to transfer some money, I reach for my phone, and use my bank's own app. If only I could tell the app to use mobile data exclusively.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 am

I would have thought that, given the number of malware/spyware infected (cr)apps out there and the rather poor security record of Android, a phone would not be one's first-choice for banking/payment use (says the guy with a 2G bar-phone :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:58 am

The work I do has me connected to several NZ Bank systems via hoops and whatnot to get onto the 'nix servers hosting the databases I manage.

No AV software on any of them. Which is by design as they're inside a very defensive moat of patched and protected machines. So the argument (were I to be calling about an incident) they present to defer a claim would be smacked straight back at them with a very detailed description of their own practices for protection. Practices that I use for my home network.

My UFB installation was a doddle. Purely as I know my house inside out/upside down - something to do with having personally wired it with CAT6 into each room. There are network ports in all the appropriate places. When the tech guys came to scope the job (the pre installation scope) I told them exactly how the wiring was to be completed, and I'd made it so easy and logical to the point they decided to just to the job there and then. Two hours later I was connected to blinken-lights.

Both my Routers are patched to the n'th degree and I keep track of the logs on them daily. (Asus DSL 68U with a signature version dated 26th May 2018). It appears they've put a little thought into the firmware as I have a fairly detailed list of attacks to the IP address, nothing seems amiss. Every machine in the house uses a centrally manages AV solution, and machines that are on the network that don't need internet access are actively barred from the big wide world.
latewings

Postby hagfish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:I would have thought that, given the number of malware/spyware infected (cr)apps out there and the rather poor security record of Android, a phone would not be one's first-choice for banking/payment use (says the guy with a 2G bar-phone :-)

'Android' :lol:
hagfish

Postby greven » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:14 pm

My UFB connection was brilliant when I signed up before anyone else in my area 5 years ago, but as soon as gigabit connections were released, I noticed I started getting latency issues & buffering videos at peak times.
Still better than DSL though - Chorus never did manage to fix the fault with my copper line that I put up with for 5 years previous to upgrading.
greven

Postby Kiwiiano » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 am

I prefer to use phone banking simply because my thumbprint allows me to access both BNZ & KiwiBank almost instantly. Hopefully the Black Hats won't be able to simulate the transaction that occurs between the iPhone and the Bank's Servers.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column