The death of a tax (20 Jun, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The death of a tax (20 Jun, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0620.shtml

What will councils do if they introduce regional fuel taxes and become dependent on that revenue, only to have a shift to EVs over the next 10 years wipe out that source of income?

Will we see a regional power-tax applied to your electricity bill?

If you go self-generated renewable, will you find yourself facing an annual "fee" for that privilege so as to make up for the loss of revenue from regional power taxes?

Instead of trying to come up with new ways to keep their troughs full, ought local councils focus a little more on improving their own efficiencies and bringing their own donuts -- instead of just raping the wallets of residents and ratepayers?

Just a thought.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The death of a tax (20 Jun, 2018)

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm

The simple fact is the councils still need to provide the services expected of them and the costs for doing that are not going away. It is all very well to talk about efficiencies etc but in reality that means reduced services for ratepayers, yet somehow the cost of running them still keeps climbing. Have to pay the salaries of all those efficiency consultants somehow. Councils will need to keep looking at raising the revenue to collect and process the rubbish, sewerage and provide clean water, not to mention libraries and street sweepers and other things everyone takes for granted. In NZ over the last few decades councils have kept deferring maintenance and even borrowing in order to keep the rates down but sadly that is now coming home to roost and the debt will need to be paid or large pieces of infrastructure need to be rebuilt.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 pm

yehh
i dont think its the cost of the essential services that are pissing off the ratepayers
its the gall of the salaries the incompetents pay themselves for doing really basic work .. work that in most cases has remained unchanged for decades
workers that would have to tell everyone they were going on strike .. for fear it would be months before anyone noticed
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby joeseph » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Councils seem to have an ever-expanding range of things to spend our money on, they should be going the other way & cull all the crapola that they should have no business being involved in.
Take ATEED, for example. Has anyone a compelling argument for not immediately ceasing to fund this group?
joeseph

Postby hagfish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Maybe the transport of the future will cause less wear and tear on our roads. If the 40-ton trucks get replaced with delivery floats that creep slowly and silently about at 3am, and 10-ton buses get replaced with smaller taxi-pods, road surfaces (and the services just below them) should last much longer.

It's cute to imagine city officials swanning about in their Allbirds, tucking into their donuts on the rate-payers' dime, but that kind of thinking leads to erosion and closure of city services and infrastructure. I'm happy to pay a donut-levy if it means I don't have to live in a grim, desolate wasteland.

Whenever a council decides that some critical element of society is 'not part of their core business' and sell it off (eg water services!) the money that once disappeared as 'waste' (ie maintenance, training, extra capacity) is quickly dwarfed by the money that now disappears as 'profit'.

I think it comes down to 'who is society for'? Is it for 'them' or is it for 'us'?
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:03 pm

hagfish wrote:It's cute to imagine city officials swanning about in their Allbirds, tucking into their donuts on the rate-payers' dime, but that kind of thinking leads to erosion and closure of city services and infrastructure. I'm happy to pay a donut-levy if it means I don't have to live in a grim, desolate wasteland.

That'd be fine if we were guaranteed service in return for those donuts... sadly, that's not always the case.

Our local council has a fully-catered lunch for its councilors and executive staff -- with the bountiful remains being passed down to the minions afterwards.

Hell, I can manage to make my own lunch and bring it if I'm going to be eating at work... so why can't those in the employment of the public?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:13 pm

cause you pay for both of those lunches

and anyway
its a celebration
they are working that day
whereas its a daily occurrence for most others .. for them its a special occasion
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby hagfish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:
hagfish wrote:It's cute to imagine city officials swanning about in their Allbirds, tucking into their donuts on the rate-payers' dime, but that kind of thinking leads to erosion and closure of city services and infrastructure. I'm happy to pay a donut-levy if it means I don't have to live in a grim, desolate wasteland.

That'd be fine if we were guaranteed service in return for those donuts... sadly, that's not always the case.

Our local council has a fully-catered lunch for its councilors and executive staff -- with the bountiful remains being passed down to the minions afterwards.

Hell, I can manage to make my own lunch and bring it if I'm going to be eating at work... so why can't those in the employment of the public?

Oh, well - I guess I'd be pretty grumpy too if I were paying the donut-tax, but living in Tokoroa :D
hagfish

Postby Perry » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:48 pm

There's an old adage that "we" get the gummint we deserve. I take that to mean we get to bear the costs - financially & figuratively - of being duped by all the pre-election promises which involve wannbe politicians bribing voters with the said voters own money. (Less 27.5% for administration costs, of course). Does the same not apply to council elections?

Any wannabe that simply said they would stick to the basics of good infrastructure and a lean administration would not even get their deposit back, after the election.
Perry

Return to Today's column