Has Google just bricked its devices worldwide?(28 Jun, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Has Google just bricked its devices worldwide?(28 Jun, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:52 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0628.shtml

It might be something as simple as a network problem at Google's end but some have suggested that an automatic firmware update may have bricked a huge number of Google Home and Chromecast devices.

With the growing proliferation of "smart devices" and the tendency to automate the firmware update process, do we run the risk that our favourite toy or device will become a brick overnight if someone gets the updated code wrong?

Should such devices have a factory reset button that reloads a bootstrap loader or known-good version of the firmware, just in case?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Has Google just bricked its devices worldwide?(28 Jun, 2

Postby phill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 am

i thought about buying one
but
i wondered ( apparently correctly ) how many would have higher access to it than i could get

i want to be the only one with access to anything in my house
if i choose to allow others temporary access thats fine
but it seems private ownership / control is disappearing over the horizon at present
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby foxyboy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:29 am

What they need is an A/B partition design where only one partition is active at a time and other is upgraded, then the device quickly reboots.

If the upgrade fails, you hit a reset button and switch back to the other partition. Or this can sometimes be automatically triggered.

The problem is this requires a reset button, coding and double the storage to hold two copies of everything.

An example of an A/B style OS would be CoreOS.
foxyboy

Postby paulw » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 am

Looks like the Chromecast is working again now. I rented a movie last nite from Google Play but when I went to cast it the Chromecast icon was not there or on nay other app that can cast. Google Home app could see it OK. I saw on line this morning that there was a problem but should be fixed. tested this morning same thing but left all turned on and just retested and now OK. As I have 30 days to watch the movie will do it at the weekend.
paulw

Postby phord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 pm

The battery to my latest smart phone is NOT removable and there is no reset pinhole.

This concerns me, because my previous smart phone did crash on occasion.
Always fixed it by re-inserting the battery.
phord

Postby phill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 pm

interesting point
mine doesnt have one either
i looked for my phones method then figured it was probably generic
it was
all can be reset with the power on off and volume up keys

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-fact ... roid-phone
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 pm

ah, I thought it was a problem with google chrome which had been updated the day before. wasted half an hour last night switching to the unstable development version, only to find that didn't work either. Chromecast wasn't bricked per se, i was able to connect to it via my smartphone app and tell it to reboot, but that didn't solve the problem either. but paulw is right, its all good now.
Muscular Jam

Postby joeseph » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 pm

A number of Network equipment vendors already use the dual-OS system (Juniper & Foundry/Brocade spring to mind) where if the current OS becomes corrupt for any reason, the unit will fail back to the backup OS.
Cisco stuff just boots off whatever works in the event of a OS corruption if a backup image exists, but also has the ability to recover by way of either TFTP'ing a functional image onto the box, or worse case, copying an image on via the serial cable (anyone remember Xmodem?)

Given the cheap cost of storage these days, it surprises me that anyone would use a single OS model
joeseph

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 pm

At least in NZ we could pull the Consumer Guarantees Act if they start bricking devices for an annual repurchase malarkey. If something can’t be reliable for at least 12mths, it’s refund time. In fact, “fit for the purpose “ can be invoked well beyond 12mths if you persist!!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column