What did I miss? (5 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: What did I miss? (5 Jul, 2018)

Postby phill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 pm

excuse me
are you inferring google may have missed the chance to spy on something they had not thought of ???
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:59 pm

phill wrote:Are you inferring google may have missed the chance to spy on something they had not thought of ???

Sorry. No.

Just make it easier than before. :twisted:
Perry

Postby phill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:05 pm

i dont recall when i signed into youtube or even if i have on this machine
but
when i clicked on a reminder for the rocket labs launch it knew who i was and my email address without needing any other input
i wasnt happy
phill

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Much the same with gooble maps.

Before I can type in a location I'm looking for, I see my area displayed on my monitor.

Spying bastards!

Like you: not happy.
Perry

Postby 4765656B » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 pm

phill wrote:i dont recall when i signed into youtube or even if i have on this machine
but
when i clicked on a reminder for the rocket labs launch it knew who i was and my email address without needing any other input
i wasnt happy

ALL google services in the browser use the same authentication/login, hence if you have logged into a Calendar, Google Drive, gmail, maps, Play store, account details, search etc., there is a cookie with those details. They try to keep you logged in across all of this all the time so that your history is "complete". If you do log out, there is still some "speculation" as to what you may/may not have been doing not explicitly recorded against you, but likely you. This can all work in your favour when you are trying to reset a password etc, but not if you are trying to fly under the radar.
4765656B

Postby 4765656B » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Perry wrote:Much the same with gooble maps.

Before I can type in a location I'm looking for, I see my area displayed on my monitor.

Spying bastards!

Like you: not happy.

Yeah, they are just using IP location - like https://www.iplocation.net/, but since they're Google, probably even more accurate. Pretty easy to verify. Open in a private/incognito browser window, if it still shows the exact same location, it's that. For fun, try it with a VPN or from someone else's computer but on your home connection.

If you DO sign in to Google, you can save your home location and other places. Help, if you enable Google maps on your Android phone it will guess where you live and work and offer to save those locations. It'll even start suggesting when traffic is heavy to go home early to beat it!!! Still, they do give you the option to turn on/off all these suggestions.

It does give you pause to think though, even if they don't explicitly save them and make them available to you, they DO know. Have a look at various shops on Google maps, it gives you a histogram of the busiest times of day at that location - probably have better stats than most shopkeepers!
4765656B

Postby phill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:22 pm

ALL google services in the browser use the same authentication/login, hence if you have logged into a Calendar, Google Drive, gmail, maps, Play store, account details, search etc., there is a cookie with those details.

yeh but
i dont use any of those .. for the reason they are all google
i dont even use google search i use start page
all my androids have different gmail address and anyone that hacks them will probably work out they are not going to get much as the 2 welcome emails will still be there on there own unopened .. well i think they will be i never sign into them .. ever ( required to use google services ) any that required a confirmation email address got a throw away one ( https://temp-mail.org/en/ )

i dont give permissions to location or anything that opens something else
my win 7 has
zone alarm / adblock /adblock plus / ghostery / glasswire / winpatrol / avast / avira / malwarebytes
my browser has tracking off / media off / flashblocker / bright cove and brightcove player are blocked
i am almost paranoia personified
yet
the bastards still knew who i was
phill

Postby 4765656B » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:11 pm

phill wrote:yet the bastards still knew who i was

ok, so if you've taken all those steps, I could understand your frustration with them still knowing. So are you interested in finding how they knew? I'm interested in experimenting - that sort of thing always gets me interested. What was the reminder for Rocket Labs launch from - link from email, your own calendar appointment?
4765656B

Postby phill » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:19 pm

http://www.rocketlabusa.com/live-stream

page is down now ... presumably they only have it active when they are on a launch schedule
i believe they carry the feed on youtube

the reminder button was on the live-stream page on the rocket labs site .. as soon as i clicked it .. there it all was
phill

Previous

Return to Today's column