Dotcom, a victim of our justice system? (6 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Dotcom, a victim of our justice system? (6 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:03 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0706.shtml

Do we really have a "justice system" -- when the state is free to play loose and free with the rules whilst holding everyone else to precise account?

Given the injustices already done to Kim Dotcom and his family, ought a true "justice" system weigh that into consideration when deciding whether he should be extradited to the USA to face charges that some argue are more fiction than fact?

In most cases, cheats are punished for their misdeads but if KD is extradited, it seems that we'll be rewarding the government agencies that broke our laws in order to try and have him extradited.

Is that really fair?

What kind of message does that send to those agencies?

Is it time we renamed our "Justice system" to more accurately represent the truth, and call it a "Legal System"?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Dotcom, a victim of our justice system? (6 Jul, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 am

Well said one again Bruce. Never mind that KDC made a lot of money by providing an infrastructure by which others breached copyright (let's just sidestep that rabbit hole), the fact the the whole of "Stage 1" of this saga was the government acting in an illegal matter must be enough grounds for the Minister to stop any further extradition action.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby phill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am

( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby 4765656B » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Without getting into whether Megaupload was responsible for illegal acts, what I still don't quite follow is what/who in the U.S.A. is he answerable to? He has never been to the U.S.A to my understanding so didn't commit his alleged crimes there.

If I commit a crime in NZ, even if it is a crime in NZ and the U.S.A. how is it that the U.S.A. have jurisdiction to prosecute it?

The whole thing is just unbelievable anyway. Does anybody go to jail when big companies get sued for patent or copyright infringements? Not usually to the best of my understanding - it's all fines and various forms of commercial redress. Do they send S.W.A.T. in to Apple and Google to seize their records?
4765656B

Postby phill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 pm

pretty sure in the usa evidence seized in an illegal search is inadmissible in a court of law
also pretty sure the unlawful / illegal slight of hand so prevalent over here wont wash with a real judge either

so what do they really have to present as a case against him

i think the damages he can / will claim if it gets dropped or he is found not guilty is the major reason the case is still being forced to chug along

ie
incompetent snivel servants to scared to admit wrongdoing or fault for as long as possible and no amount of public money is to much to spend to protect themselves
Last edited by phill on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby joeseph » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Never mind that KDC made a lot of money by providing an infrastructure by which others breached copyright

The same could be said of every ISP in the country (and elsewhere, including in the USA)
The same could be said of every electricity provider...

Regardless of how other companies operate, and how Megaupload operated, this extradition by the USA (and I believe it will ultimately succeed) is nothing short of large business interests in the US wanting to make an example of somebody, and from the NZ end, everyone wanting the "problem" to go away whilst looking to appease the US.

Justice doesn't really come into it sadly, and the rules broken in the process will likely go unpunished because it would be too "inconvenient" to follow due process & actually prosecute the offenders.
joeseph

Return to Today's column