Blurring the line (10 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Blurring the line (10 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:33 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0710.shtml

With such fantastic software freely available for the price of a download, can we really believe anything we see online these days?

And I am very pleased with my $500 purchase of top-line editing/compositing software from BMD. Although I'm only a rank amateur, having a top-shelf tool has made the job of turning raw footage into something worth watching so much easier and more rewarding.

What was the last piece of software you actually forked out your own cash for... and why?

Are most people basically honest and willing to pay a fair price for a good product?

What did you think of that YouTube video created with tools that cost little more than pocket change in scheme of things?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Blurring the line (10 Jul, 2018)

Postby namartinnz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm

I pay for PhotoShop through a yearly subscription of about $180. A lot cheaper than previously paying $1500 for a licence, then get pinged for a $500 upgrade or another $1500 if the update was 2 or 3 versions later.

Also winRar paid version - I unzip heaps of files and it wasn't worth the time wasted seeing their popups on the free versions. Also Vuescan scanning software too ($75), but that got superseded by Silverfast when I upgraded my scanner and that was packaged with it (usually worth $100s). Qimage - a great piece of printing software for images - again around $80 to buy and $20/pa to resubscribe. There's a few others but can't recall (apart from win 7 [gasp]) but all were/are used in my business and are complete value for money instead of trying to get a pirated version and associated risks using them...
namartinnz

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Yeah, another reason I chose the BMD software is that the updates are *free*, for the life of the product. That's cool... because I spent a fortune upgrading my Sony editing software over the years but now I just download the new version and carry on.

The only downside is that the paid version of the Fusion software has a USB dongle for copy-protection purposes -- so 1980s!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Just be wary they could stop upgrading the software and choose to sell a 'new' version with a new name. I have Qimage Professional edition which was a lifetime licence. Then they brought out Qimage Ultimate and stopped upgrading the old version 10 years ago, as Ultimate had all the new 'features'...
namartinnz

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 am

I pay for licenced (OEM) copies of windows when I get a new computer.

I purchased Office 2007 retail back in the day because I needed it. Then a couple of years ago I paid for Microsoft Office 2013. Mostly because it was convenient for me to have it for working from home when I needed to get stuff done, because it was nice to have for compatibility reasons, but mostly because my employer had a deal with MS which let anyone with a licenced copy on their work machine buy it for their home machine for a small price. I think it was about $15. It's hard to argue with that price!

I have also paid for a number of games, and handy utilities like WinZip over the years.

I was paying a monthly subscription for Plex for a couple of years, which was a wonderful bit of software I had running on a NAS to organise my home media collection. All of my DVDs, Blu-Rays and CDs were ripped to it, as was content recorded off Sky (before I cancelled), and footage that I had shot myself. It let me organise media into libraries, auto-magically scraped metadata, streamed to clients around the house, tracked what I had watched and let me resume where I had left off even in a different room, and transcoded auto-magically to feed a client footage it could cope with. It was smooth, reliable, with a great user interface and eye candy, and developers who improved the product and listened to their users. Unfortunatley, it then went rapidly downhill. New versions of the server software started to essentially spy on users, pushing online authentication (which could be bypassed) and reporting extensive telemtery date on what users were doing back to the mothership. Then they rolled out "updated" client software with an appallingly bad UX, and have since turned a deaf ear to a chorus of complaints from users on the forums. So I have cancelled that sub and won't be paying them any more. Currently I have reverted to older free versions of the server and client software, and my next project will be replacing it with an alternative (probably Emby) which will then likely get my money instead.

If anyone developing software wants a lesson in how to ruin a good product, and actively alienate what was a pretty fanatical user base, watching how Plex plays out over the next 2-3 years should be interesting. At least I didn't spend $US150 on the lifetime sub.
Jimmy

Return to Today's column