What is that on your shoes? (27 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

What is that on your shoes? (27 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:56 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0727.shtml

I asked, back in May, if we'd reached peak cow here in NZ.

Well, if the latest reports are anything to go by it is almost certain we have now done so.

Apparently we can no longer even grow enough feed here in NZ to support our dairy population so our own primary industry is not only devastating this nation's environment but also contributing to the devastation of other countries' rainforest and natural environments.

Seriously.. have we passed the point of sustainability?

And the M.Bovis situation proves the point I have been making that a dairy monoculture is incredibly vulnerable to a devastation by any pathogen that makes it way past our somewhat lace-doily-like biosecurity barriers.

Is it time to stop talking about diversification and actually start taking action?

Or is it just that much easier to walk around with our eyes closed and our fingers in our ears hoping that the inevitable will never happen?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: What is that on your shoes? (27 Jul, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:33 am

Quite right. Unfortunately if an individual (or more likely a Corporate) sees a way to make money, and the local regs do not specifically prohibit it, a dairy farm or conversion will go ahead. If the Council is wise enough to say "Stop, No. This is bad for the environment long term", it then goes up the chain of courts who then focus on that one case and not the wider picture.

We're also seeing this same practice in accommodation (hotel and individual) development in areas like the Wakatipu Basin. The creep of housing development over the past 10-15 years, and the consents applied for have effectively ruined all environmental amenity value there. It's just one large ugly sprawling suburb these days.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I tend to think we've got too many cows for the way we farm currently. Actually I wouldn't mind so much if they were barn raised and housed. There'd be less pressure on the land but I suspect the greenies may not be in favour. They could also use the excrement to fertilse plants to feed vegans. Of course they'd have to get the animal feed from somewhere, imported more than likely. Soy or palm kernel and then voila, there goes our clean, green, GE free milk image out the door.

Realistically I don't think anything will happen until something major happens, a biosecurity incursion more than likely and then the taxpayers will have to bail them out and spend billions trying to fix it, probably to no avail. Nope, we'll just keep ploughing along ruining the environment and doing this stupid sustainable growth myth. Somethings going to give but the PTB, farmers and economists can't see that. They're blinded by the $$$.
goosemoose

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Perry

Postby phill » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 pm

corporates buying up farmland and building new dairy units
what could possibly go wrong
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column