Is social media crashing? (30 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is social media crashing? (30 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:16 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0730.shtml

Have the likes of Facebook, Twitter, etc reached their peak in terms of use and profitability?

Are people getting a little burnt out after being online and in-touch 24/7 through services such as these?

If social media fades, what will replace it and become the predominant service or product to be found on the Net?

Are we already seeing a shift to those more traditional services that have dominated the analog world for so long?

Things such as entertainment, retailing, etc?

Tell us what you think the internet landscape will look like in another 10 year's time.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is social media crashing? (30 Jul, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:46 am

Not sure about the other channels, but Facebook is a victim of its own greed. Revenues were growing due to the huge proliferation of ads, to the point where the majority of the information on a page ('suggested posts/sponsored posts/sidebar ads) was paid for and user-provided content is well below 50%. A number of people I know have given up on it as FB has gotten too greedy , others are using other tools like FB Purity to block the ads. Upshot - less eyeballs on ads, less $return for advertisers. They pushed it way too far and FB itself has lost a lot of its user utility. Z-berg has only himself to blame.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:09 am

I think it's advertisers who are getting over social media. They hire a team to run their 'socials', this team generates screeds of content, attract lots of eyeballs, a bunch of clicks, but how much actual revenue? Personally - since I started using the Web - I've 'seen an ad, clicked the ad, bought the thing' only a handful of times.

I think the users are - in general - pretty happy with the services they originally signed up to. Then came the inevitable dilution/destruction of the services' useful elements. Twitter and Facebook used to be a chronological feed of stuff from people you followed/friended. Now they're a mish-mash of all kinds of stuff, mixed with ads, 'news', all out of order.

Other services tried to replace the spontaneous user community with one focussed on revenue - thus the downfall of Pinterest and Flickr and (now) Instagram.

I'm happy to look at ads, but I think the destruction of ad-tech is a good thing. All that tracking and analysis...

If they fired all the 'R&D' people, Twitter would have enough money in the bank to run quietly for about 400 years. But - no - it's a billion-dollar unicorn, so has to chase the big bucks in order to justify its absurd share price. Thus ensuring its demise. I miss Twitter.
hagfish

Postby phill » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am

as much as i would like to
i just cant see it disappearing anytime soon

i think the existing formats will change though
faceache, twitter, snapchat etc will soon be yesterdays chip wrapper

if i was to speculate i would say that the ones that will take over from them will be group and or interest based
sort of like going back to the yahoo group type chats of yesteryear but upgraded for graphics and vid content
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:22 am

We may be a bunch of old Pharts blowing in the wind....
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/105766905/gen-z-and-millennials-rule-the-retail-world-ignore-them-at-your-peril
The youngsters on the 'net march to the beat of different drums and as we fade out and our tokens with us, they will become the main stream. Good luck to them. They'll need it.
Brings to mind XKCD's classic "Undocumented feature" https://xkcd.com/1305/
I can almost remember what that's about. It's not that it was before my time but when you get to a certain age, you become preoccupied with the hereafter, as in when you walk into a room and think "What am I here after?"
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 am

If it crashes and burns, the demise of faecesbook will not cause me to shed any tears. Much the same for the rest of them.

Maybe some of the young, rude and mannerless zombies will eventually realise that they are not even remotely important enough in the scheme of things to have to be reachable, all day, every day.

If I've ever responded to an (unsolicited) advert, I can't recall what it was. But what's annoying is that it seems to me that search engine results are getting worse - as in increasingly inaccurate. Anyone else feel the same?

DuckDG is really bad: specifying NZ-only pages gets results from all over the world - mainly GeorgeBushLand.

Gooble is a little better, but still can't seem to distinguish a lot of offshore from NZ related sites.

Are we being softened up for something?
Perry

Postby goosemoose » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:27 am

They use facebook at my work. Everything now is "to see this or that log into facebook at work". For their staff for F's sake. So I don't see anything. MInd you I reckon if they stick it there it can't be that important. They'll send me an email if its important. I tend to shy away from outfits that use facebook as their main promotional vehicle.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 am

goosemoose wrote:They use facebook at my work. Everything now is "to see this or that log into facebook at work".

And don't forget to checkout tomorrow's column, only on the Aardvark Facebook page

Cue Tui's ad :lol: :lol: :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 pm

The $100+ Billion drop looks like a big deal until you realise the share price has dropped to around where it was in May this year. I don't think Facebook is going to be swept off the face of the earth anytime soon. I'm also a tiny share holder of a few shares in Facebook - not having invested in rental properties. Live long and prosper?
namartinnz

Postby phill » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 pm

[quote="Kiwiiano"]We may be a bunch of old Pharts blowing in the wind....
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/105766905/gen-z-and-millennials-rule-the-retail-world-ignore-them-at-your-peril

one of the same said old pharts thinking he knows how the next generation thinks and what it wants
just like every preceding generation has done
and with likely exactly the same insight and accuracy
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column