Buy your tech stuff now? (10 Aug, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Buy your tech stuff now? (10 Aug, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0810.shtml

The Kiwi dollar looks set to continue losing value over the next 18 months or so and that means higher prices for imported goods such as fuel and tech-gear. So is now the best time to buy?

And are we seeing the nation teeter at the edge of an economic precipice -- trying to balance interest rates against inflation without bringing an economy which is so highly vested in property, to its knees?

Are readers concerned and if so, what steps are you taking to help mitigate what could be a bumpy few years ahead?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Buy your tech stuff now? (10 Aug, 2018)

Postby namartinnz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am

I don't think we'll ever have a crystal ball on the economy, but for myself speeding up mortgage debt reduction is a priority. At some stage rates will rise. And I just got in my cheap Ali Express soldering station and ESR meter so I'm all good for electronics...
namartinnz

Buy your what stuff now?

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:56 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:And are we seeing the nation teeter at the edge of an economic precipice -- trying to balance interest rates against inflation without bringing an economy which is so highly vested in property, to its knees?

Like a few others, I know you have a 'thing' about property investment Bruce, but have you or any of the other anti-LL folks ever resolved why so many "ma and pa" investors choose property over any- and most everything else?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Probably because the levels of corporate management in NZ are so bad that people are put off taking a "risk" with stocks and shares. Also, we have a tax system that is so biased towards making capital gains on property that people would be silly not to take advantage of that.

Of course we (the nation) pay for that with declining productivity (per capita) and increased borrowing.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm

you dont get a viable dividend when the ceo's and the supporting board of greedies take most of the profit as 'well earned' pocket money

and ya still arnt allowed to shoot em
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Is it not all about choice and risk and learning from the past?

The hackneyed expression capital gains is mostly a deceptive shibboleth.

Most dim bulbs don't understand purchasing power and inflation, and can't tell the difference between a mirage-like gain and a simple change in numbers as they relate to inflation and purchasing power.
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm just as concerned about the global financial situation. Or should that be 'the global farcical situation'? With a loose cannon in the US and trade barriers going up willy-nilly there may be 'interesting times' ahead.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Yes, wait until the 25% tariffs for a very wide range of technologies from China kicks in this month. The US population might not be best pleased that much of their tech stuff (computer parts, RAM, GPUs, etc) suddenly spike by a significant amount. Even US manfacturing of hi-tech items (if there is such a thing these days) will be hit because the tariffs cover a huge range of component parts made in China.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 am

Tariffs are a strange beast, too. No one understands them, either.

Well, maybe a handful do, but no one's listening to them.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column