That card costs how much? (20 Sep, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

That card costs how much? (20 Sep, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:34 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0920.shtml

Firstly.. my apologies for the lack of a column yesterday. I couldn't find anything to write about and there were significant calls on my time as a result of this YouTube video I posted the night before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk1Mz5P4qlY

But to today...

Are you as gobsmacked as I am at just how much raw computing power is crammed into the latest generation of graphics (GPU) cards?

Could we have even dreamed, back in the day of CGA and Hercules cards) that the graphics cards we'd be using another 30 years down
the track, would be many orders of magnitude more powerful than the paltry 8088 processors in those early PCs?

And where to in another decade?

Will the inclusion of Tensor cores in modern GPUs see an increase in the amount of AI code that runs on our desktops?

How long before virtually every application is simply a neural network that "learns" rather than is programmed?

Exciting times ahead -- or scary times ahead?

You tell me!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: That card costs how much? (20 Sep, 2018)

Postby latewings » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 am

Personally I'm waiting for VR headsets and software to catch up with screen/card based visual interfaces. Its likely to be years away, but having a photo realistic flight sim delivered through a 3d VR headset would be entertaining, if not a little disconcerting to the vestibulo-ocular reflex during a steep banking manoeuver.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 am

You should try flying RC models with FPV (first-person-view) goggles. It causes the same disconnect between what your eyes are telling you and what your vistibular system is telling you.

Most people can't stand up and watch, they have to sit down or lean against something and even after many hundreds of hours of flying time I still find myself teetering a bit if I do this when standing up.

Great fun though. Have to enjoy it while we can, if Airways have their way, it'll all be illegal soon.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 am

Most people can't stand up and watch, they have to sit down or lean against something and even after many hundreds of hours of flying time I still find myself teetering a bit if I do this when standing up.

The 'Leans' as we call it when training to fly on Instruments, with an eye hood blocking everything but the instruments. Takes a good number of hours to trust your eyes and not your ears: caught me out a few times in my early IFR training.

Must try FPV and see how it differs to real-life resolution from an R22 cockpit.
latewings

Postby phill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:25 am

ok im up for the quad squad membership ( QSM )
but as for the graphics cards
coin mining has shown that the card can be tasked with things other than showing pictures
sooo ... its likely more and more app coders will use the graphics cards to run their programs rather than the slower cpu

cool instant super computer in a box
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby hagfish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:49 am

Now that crypto-mining is in a down-swing, TradeMe is being flooded with RX580s and GTX1060s. For those looking to do some cheap-but-good 1080p gaming, it's a bonanza, and they could go even cheaper. MightyApe might find the stock they are finally able to get turns into a stock glut, as these 2nd hand cards flood TM.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 pm

as these 2nd hand cards flood TM.

Yippee....! :D
JonL

Return to Today's column