Get out of the way Chrome! (10 Oct, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Get out of the way Chrome! (10 Oct, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1010.shtml

Should your browser totally forbid access to sites which use certificates that Google deems untrustworthy -- even though you are happy to accept the risk?

Or should it simply provide an advisory and then allow you to continue "at your own risk"?

It seems that Chrome 70 is opting for the former and in my mind, that makes it a no-go, because I'm a "big boy" and have been for a very long time.

What about you... do you want to be treated like a big-boy or like a mummy's boy by your browser?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Get out of the way Chrome! (10 Oct, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am

This is Alphabet / Google - given their track record recently I'd say no. No, I don't want them enforcing their security policy framework on my browsing. But on the plus side,.... oh wait Google doesn't have a Plus side any more, does it? :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Stevesub1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 am

I use Opera on all of my devices, if there is a problem then Firefox and at times the Samsung browser on my tablet for one site in particular. I have not used Chrome for years. As for protecting my devices, I have a subscription to Bitdefender that has kept me safe to date and is on all my devices.

I cannot remember why I stopped using Chrome it was so long ago but you article makes me less inclined to use it in the future.
Stevesub1

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 am

How long before the ONLY safe place to obtain certificates is a subsidiary of Google?
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby foxyboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:36 am

Google CA (Certificate Authority)
I think that the trusting of CA's needs to be tightened as the revoke process is far too slow / lacks transparency and trusted CA's are often static and not updated (eg Android phones).

Google so far doesn't act as a SSL CA, as on their Google Cloud Platform you need to bring your own certificates unlike Amazon which does. Let's Encrypt is making a big difference so.

Browser Overrides.
I think we should still be able to override the warnings as at times you need to do this. Eg: development / self-signed certificates.

Using Waterfox instead of firefox for a few sites.
foxyboy

Postby foxyboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 am

Kiwiiano wrote:How long before the ONLY safe place to obtain certificates is a subsidiary of Google?

Imaging how tight and twisted the EU knickers would be, if this occurred.
foxyboy

Postby phord » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 am

Websites that went to the effort of using these security certificates are much more secure for doing so.
Strangely, the affected websites will NOT be blocked if they remove their SSL entirely.
Websites with no SSL can be intercepted at Wifi Hotspots.
phord

Postby hiscoca » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am

Websites that went to the effort of using these security certificates are much more secure for doing so.
Strangely, the affected websites will NOT be blocked if they remove their SSL entirely.
Websites with no SSL can be intercepted at Wifi Hotspots.

If you dont use https google reduces your ranking you in there search results.
hiscoca

Postby hagfish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 am

It's a bit 'high-handed' - a bit like MS's recent decision to wipe people's Downloads folders. Because only an idiot would store stuff in there, right? Turns out lots of their users store(d) stuff in there.

Google probably feel like they're flying the flag for Internet safety - the last bastion hope for the huddled masses. But if Chrome blocks these sites, users won't think the web page is broken, they'll decide 'Chrome' is broken. That's not the site owners' problem - it's Google's problem. And Firefox is a pretty nice alternative.
hagfish

Postby Muscular Jam » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm

*shrug* I use Waterfox
Muscular Jam

Next

Return to Today's column