Features over robustness? (16 Nov, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Features over robustness? (16 Nov, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:08 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1116.shtml

Is the Davinci Resolve situation a perfect example of what happens when product design is handed over to the marketing department?

How many previously great programs have been crippled or harmed by a focus on "features" rather than robustness and reliability?

I am not complaining about the Davinci Resolve I use because verson 14 does everything I need and is totally dependable -- but those who feel a need to always have the newest and bestest are feeling the hurt.

Have you you encountered the same situation with software you've been using?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Features over robustness? (16 Nov, 2018)

Postby phill » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 am

cant say much for software ( although most game makers have done the same thing ... to the point where the patches that used to be a few kb file are now almost the size of the original game )
but its a pretty common theme in manufacturing
the office now runs the factory
the products sound so much much prettier, reliable and full of features than they used to be
but they are not
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby paulw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 pm

For video work I still use as a primary Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 and Power Director 10 as a backup. Quite happy with Movie Studio except it won't "Smart render" AVCHD from the timeline to a file which Power Director will do but Power Director is a bit of a pig to use. Prior to going AVCHD I had a Win Xp partition with Ulead Media Studio Pro for editing mini DV work but when it was bought out be Corel they stopped all development of it instead trying to push the dumbed down Video Studio to the old Ulead customer bas. .
paulw

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Bruce wrote:From where I sit, this is quite entertaining, albeit a little sad. Those who feel the need to live on the bleeding edge and always have the latest version are paying the price for doing so.

What do readers think? In today's competitive markets, is it simply too tempting for companies to start adding features and loading up the bullet-points on their brochures instead of focusing on delivering solid, robust, reliable, dependable code?

Wouldn't windoze qualify for that award?
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:51 am

It should always be possible to uninstall and revert to the previous version. I suppose we are victims of our own naivety, we know that a new version is likely to be buggy but charge ahead updating then cursing as work is lost. In a perfect world we’d have dedicated work PCs that are not allowed to be updated until the bleeding edge PC has demonstrated that essential apps are really, truly stable. Or at least partitioned hard drives or separate boot hard drives that are kept quarantined for mission-critical tasks.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby paulw » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:It should always be possible to uninstall and revert to the previous version. I suppose we are victims of our own naivety, we know that a new version is likely to be buggy but charge ahead updating then cursing as work is lost. In a perfect world we’d have dedicated work PCs that are not allowed to be updated until the bleeding edge PC has demonstrated that essential apps are really, truly stable. Or at least partitioned hard drives or separate boot hard drives that are kept quarantined for mission-critical tasks.

In other words buy version 1.1 not version 1.0..
paulw

Return to Today's column