Is the Huawei ban just hypocrisy? (29 Nov, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is the Huawei ban just hypocrisy? (29 Nov, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:11 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1129.shtml

The government has no problem with Australia or the USA spying on Kiwis, despite these nations' appalling human rights records -- but they will not allow Spark to use Huawei 5G gear because the Chinese *might* be able to spy on us through it.

Seriously? "Do as we say, not as we do" raises its ugly head yet again?

Surely, just throwing a decent encryption layer over the top of any data transfers made via Huawei's gear would solve that problem anyway so what's the problem?

I find it incredibly hypocritical that a government which shows such scant regard for the privacy of Kiwis when the GCSB or its Five Eyes friends are involved, should be so outraged that China *might* be able to spy on those same folk via the 5G equipment being used.

What do readers think?

Should we protect ourselves against the Red Terror by banning Huawei gear -- and instead rely on vendors from the good old USA perhaps who, I'm sure, would *never* spy on us and who would never (CISCO) make gear so bad that it was filled with back-doors and hardcoded passwords (cough cough).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the Huawei ban just hypocrisy? (29 Nov, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:41 am

Umm the horse might already have bolted...
hagfish

Postby goldedge » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:17 am

1 NZ doing what the US wants instead of acting independently, that will never happen will it?

2 NZ has no corrupt politicians or civil servants has it?

3 People should understand that what is good for US business interests is good for NZ.

4 The US would never force a US equipment or software supplier to install trojans spyware or backdoors in their products.

5 You can trust Trump in fact any US president is one step removed from GOD ( IN God we trust )

6 Install windows 10 now the only way to be safe.

Note some of the comments above may not represent the actual views of the poster,
they should not be taken to represent the views of anyone at all ( especially number 6 ).

:-)
goldedge

Postby phill » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 am

to me
[ 5 eyes] ------- [ gcsb ] ------ [ nz govt ]
oops sorry
missed a bit
[ us corporate with agenda ] ------- [ us lobbyist's ] ------ [ us govt ] ----- [ 5 eyes ] ------ [ gcsb ] ----- [ nz govt ]

if i recall correctly we are / were the only 5 eyes member that has not banned huawei from the list of acceptable broadband suppliers
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby latewings » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am

At face value the sceptical among us consider Unc Sam's 'suggestion' to use US gear as self serving espionage, and perhaps Sammy cannot break into the SinoKit as it's too secure, and that's the issue?

The alternative is the SinoGear has all the necessary security on install, but has the potential to be updated by proximity at a later date by nefarious ill-doers. In short we simply don't know. And that's perhaps the reasoning.

Better the devil you know?
latewings

Postby par_annoyed » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am

and another little step down to total surveillance and loss of rights......

Why don't they TEST IT and find out ? It's not hard to packet sniff the networks after all - isn't that what GCSB routinely do all the time ??
par_annoyed

Postby goosemoose » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 pm

par_annoyed wrote:Why don't they TEST IT and find out ? It's not hard to packet sniff the networks after all - isn't that what GCSB routinely do all the time ??

Because they'll be some sort of agreement when they buy the new Cisco gear that says they are not allowed to do that and they are also not allowed to notice all the tunnels open back to the land of the free.

GCSB is an absolute minnow in the 5 eyes, when the other 4 say "Jump" the GCSB says "How high, and I won't use lube" and they were probably given the 'evidence' of Huaweis insecurity - unverifiable by them too 'cause of NDA I would guess. The GCSB are little more than irrelevant and a nice place for the other directors to attend conferences.

I don't trust any of them USA or Chinese vendors although you could say the the advantage of going with Huawei is that if you assume they are spying on you it will force you to sharpen up your security - no bad thing.
goosemoose

Postby paulw » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 pm

I wouldn't be so worried about the Chinese spaying on us it's the back door that China may require to shutdown the network if things turn to crap. Imagine being able to shut down Choruses fiber network or a cell network because the NZ Gov didn't agree with them invading Taiwan..
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 pm

paulw wrote:I wouldn't be so worried about the Chinese spaying on us it's the back door that China may require to shutdown the network if things turn to crap. Imagine being able to shut down Choruses fiber network or a cell network because the NZ Gov didn't agree with them invading Taiwan..

And our "allies" haven't built this type of functionality into their gear?

The difference is perhaps that the allies gear is so badly secured that a hacker will be able to shut down the network by perhaps using one of the hard-coded passwords they discovered after dumping the contents of a ROM (LOL).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Old News

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:23 pm

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain, according to extensive interviews with government and corporate sources.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column