Buy a book and save the planet? (4 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Buy a book and save the planet? (4 Dec, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1204.shtml

What do you think... are traditional books actually better for the planet than eBooks?

Does your home already have a huge example of carbon sequestration staring you in the face?

With data-centres chewing so much power and most coutries still relying heavily on fossil fuels for energy production, are we actually paying an environmental penalty for the convenience of eBooks?

Will you be giving a book to someone this Christmas? If you do, does it matter that in doing so, you're helping to stave off the effects of climate catastrophe?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Buy a book and save the planet? (4 Dec, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:02 am

Energy used to store/read/transmit/view a 500Kb block of data more than that of printing/shipping a 250gm (or heavier) paper tome? Nope can't see it myself. Now if you are comparing the HD set of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy at 12-15Gb vs a Blu-ray disk then I'd be interested in the figures, but not ebooks. Normally I'd buy that bridge you're selling, but in this case. hmmm.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Muz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:23 am

Sounds like somebody trying to justify why ebooks are almost the same price as paper ones
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Energy used to store/read/transmit/view a 500Kb block of data more than that of printing/shipping a 250gm (or heavier) paper tome? Nope can't see it myself. Now if you are comparing the HD set of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy at 12-15Gb vs a Blu-ray disk then I'd be interested in the figures, but not ebooks. Normally I'd buy that bridge you're selling, but in this case. hmmm.

Ah... but we're talking carbon footprints as well.

The total carbon footprint of a paper-book is less than zero -- because the amount of carbon sequestered in its paper will almost certainly exceed the amount of carbon released in its manufacture and transport.

The same is not true for an eBook.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:09 am

I suppose it comes down to convenience. It's easier now to download and read a book than to go buy it. Much like the energy required (power and personal) to put up an Aardvark daily blog article. What price to store the data bits on a server 24/7 into posterity?

All we can do is look at harnessing renewable energy and make do with the best of the situation...
namartinnz

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:15 am

aardvark_admin wrote:The total carbon footprint of a paper-book is less than zero -- because the amount of carbon sequestered in its paper will almost certainly exceed the amount of carbon released in its manufacture and transport.

The same is not true for an eBook.

Carbon Footprint Assessment of a Paperback Book
Can Planned Integration of Deinked Market Pulp be Detrimental to Climate?
Jean‐Robert Wells Jean‐François Boucher Achille‐Benjamin Laurent Claude Villeneuve
First published: 23 January 2012

The results show that the production of 400,000 books, mainly distributed in North America, would generate 1,084 tonnes carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2‐eq), or 2.71 kilograms (kg) CO2‐eq per book.

(Although I do concede that the above is for the production only, not storage)
GSVNoFixedAbode

Return to Today's column