The Aussie Government is mental (6 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: The Aussie Government is mental (6 Dec, 2018)

Postby A Bradford » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 am

Australia [genuinely] has a “terror” problem and the laws are being updated simply to take into account new technology. Basically it’s an extension to existing phone tapping laws; each instance will still require a warrant issued by a judge. So “snooping” shouldn’t be a [greater] problem.

As for climate change. Here is a credible blog by a credible scientist – with a nice CV https://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/link.pdf – as [more] food for thought. She goes against the current narrative and so will never get a run in the cathedral media (particularly relevant in New Zealand). It’s robust stuff. Definitely worth a cursory browse.

https://judithcurry.com
A Bradford

Postby latewings » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Australia [genuinely] has a “terror” problem

The xenophobic approach to deporting unwanted people to countries they only have passport association with, along side detention centre conditions isn't helping Australia overcome the terror issues it faces from those who only see an injustice.

There is a very strong need to protect the citizens from the actions of a few with desires to inflict mass harm, but there should also be a need to treat unfortunate people with respect as well as recidivist lawbreakers who speak with an accent out of sorts with the country mentioned in official documentations they hold.

My view is myopic, but I fail to see how this action will improve the long term situation Australia faces. There's no easy answer and balance is required, but to force citizens to relinquish all conditions of privacy to the state does have mirrors in the light of fading history.
latewings

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:33 pm

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Ignorance and willful stubbornness (or backroom deals) are sadly not considered mental illnesses. Nor is deceit. Even a yearly election won't flush all that out as, as you've highlighted before, 50% of the population is below average intelligence.

Depends whether you’re talking about mean or median. 50% of Ozzies may be below average but nearer to 70% below the median, judging by the politicians. Their compulsory voting probably pulls a lot of plonkers out from under their rocks.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby phill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm

A Bradford wrote:As for climate change. Here is a credible blog by a credible scientist – with a nice CV https://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/link.pdf – as [more] food for thought. She goes against the current narrative and so will never get a run in the cathedral media (particularly relevant in New Zealand). It’s robust stuff. Definitely worth a cursory browse.

i have never met any form of scientist that feels the need to waffle that much, that has even the remotest clue as to what the reality of what they are professing really is.
and you can package that and send it to her if you like
from her bio
she is very good at acquiring funds and co authors for her justifications for them
i did not read one single experiment or field data gathering where she got off her ass and did anything at all
but kudos .. she does sound like she thinks she knows what she is waffling about
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby phord » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:16 pm

If Australia banned encryption altogether, all websites would be banned from using HTTPS.
Therefore millions of PCs would use LESS carbon based energy (burning coal for electricity) to browse websites. :idea: :?
phord

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:37 pm

A Bradford wrote:Here is a credible blog by a credible scientist – with a nice CV https://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/link.pdf – as [more] food for thought. She goes against the current narrative and so will never get a run in the cathedral media (particularly relevant in New Zealand). It’s robust stuff. Definitely worth a cursory browse.

I think you’ll find Judith Curry is one of the prime “usual suspects “ right up with Lord Monkton in the lack of credibility stakes.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby phill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:09 pm

come on be fair
she has scammed herself millions ( yup count em ) for her flexible stance of ... well nothing but waffle really

and no it wasnt worth the browse
it was an hour i will never get back !
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm

A Bradford wrote:Australia [genuinely] has a “terror” problem and the laws are being updated simply to take into account new technology. Basically it’s an extension to existing phone tapping laws; each instance will still require a warrant issued by a judge. So “snooping” shouldn’t be a [greater] problem.

The problem is that the moment a back-door is installed then effectively the security offered to genuine users is null and void because, as we all know, back doors are an invitation to the uninvited -- possibly even the very terrorists they are trying to thwart.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column