Penny-wise, pound-foolish (10 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Penny-wise, pound-foolish (10 Dec, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:51 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1210.shtml

So the multi-million dollar plans of the SWDC to build an "iconic" building with "wow factor" in the front of town and thus lure legions of people into the CBD where will supposedly buy fridges, washing machines and lawn mowers" has failed.

Despite promises that the project would not go over budget (like virtually every other project the council is engaged in), there was already an $850K predicted blowout before the first stone was turned.

So what we now have is a right cock-up, with 30 fewer parking spaces (parking was already at a premium), the elimination of all forms of shade in front of town through the felling of the beautiful oaks and other mature trees and no sensible plans to continue.

Meanwhile, just down the road, the slowly crumbling "tower" at Tokoroa airfield continues to attract good numbers of people from around the world -- yet the SWDC won't spend a penny (or let anyone else spend a penny) restoring it.

What's more, they've effectively lost hundreds of dollars (scrap value) of steel after the removal of access ladders from the tower -- and nobody is being held accountable. Just try short-paying your rates bill by the same amount and suddenly "a few hundred dollars" becomes a very big deal -- yet both sums are public money aren't they?

I am constantly amazed at how badly this district is managed -- but I suspect it's not much different to councils all over the country.

Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Penny-wise, pound-foolish (10 Dec, 2018)

Postby goosemoose » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Meanwhile, just down the road, the slowly crumbling "tower" at Tokoroa airfield continues to attract good numbers of people from around the world -- yet the SWDC won't spend a penny (or let anyone else spend a penny) restoring it.

Ha, I guessing there are a few people on the council with property development interests that have their eye on this.

Why don't you run for council?
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 pm

To run for council in NZ you have to be an NZ citizen. If I become an NZ citizen I would lose the option of retiring to Australia with the benefits of Australian citizenship, if I so chose (although that's unlikely to happen). Still, always nice to have the option.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muscular Jam » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm

I confess on my last pass through Tokoroa as I spied the "airfield" sign I decided on a mad impulse to turn down there and have a look. I was slightly puzzled when I came to the unmarked fork in the road, but I guessed right and eventually came to a chain and a sign saying private property. But I could see buildings and the famous tower in the distance.
Muscular Jam

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Muscular Jam wrote:I confess on my last pass through Tokoroa as I spied the "airfield" sign I decided on a mad impulse to turn down there and have a look. I was slightly puzzled when I came to the unmarked fork in the road, but I guessed right and eventually came to a chain and a sign saying private property. But I could see buildings and the famous tower in the distance.

Ya should have emailed or rang me ahead of time and I'd have given you the guided tour!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muscular Jam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:14 am

I may do that sometime. On this occasion it was a completely unplanned impulse, but it just goes to show the subliminal effectiveness of your promotion. ;-)
Muscular Jam

You what?

Postby Perry » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Bruce wrote: After a glorious weekend I think (hope) it's safe to say that summer has finally arrived in Godzone.

You jest?! I hope you enjoyed it while you could.

Here is unsunny Hawke's Bay, it's persisting down. Again. Already. So soon. The next ten days aren't looking that good, either.

Anthropomorphic Gutter-Wetness, it is!
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Well it's remained warm(ish) here and the oft-predicted downpours have yet to eventuate. I've just come back from the park where I had a pleasant flight or two with my racing drone and it was lovely and miled with next to no wind. The lack of burning sun was actually a bonus today ;-)

I guess the SWDC were in charge of organising bad weather and they've stuffed it up again ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column