Building a PC in 2019 (14 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Building a PC in 2019 (14 Dec, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:19 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1214.shtml

So if you were planning to build a powerful new computer next year, what would be your choice of hardware?

CPU? GPU? case? PSU? Cooling solution?

Would you go all fancy RGB or would you leave that for the gamers? Can you even buy any hi-end gear that isn't RGB these days?

And will Intel's anouncement that their next generation of processors will use an architecture that adds new instructions to improve performance have an effect on AMD's sales? Who'd want the processor with fewer instructions and even worse single-threaded performance?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Building a PC in 2019 (14 Dec, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:25 am

My Hot Reckons:

• The crypto-mining meltdown means there are lots of graphics cards on TradeMe. Even those that have 'only ever been used by a little old lady on sunny Sundays' are half the price they were a year ago. Used GTX 1060/6 cards can be had for around $300. GTX 1080s are down from 'silly money' to 'hmm, actually' territory. The GTX 9XX series is cheaper still.
    • From AMD, the RX range are also cheeep, but their cards draw around 100W more than comparable nVidia cards, so I haven't followed them as closely.
    • NVME drives are getting cheaper. They are blazing-fast in benchmarks, but may/may not make much difference for your particular workflow.
    • Zen 2 is on its way next year. Seven nanometre. Hurrrrr.
    • Also on the way is Intel's 'Optane' RAM/storage hybrid that could significantly change-up PC architecture over the next decade.
    • Intel is also working on a discrete graphics card, to compete with nVidia and AMD, but it's a couple of years away.

My approach would be to get a graphics card in the next few months - maybe post-Christmas - and wait for Singles Day to get the rest (Nov 11). NZ's Sino etailers (PBTech, for example) had some amazing deals on that day - much better than BlackCyber Whatever. Zen 2 should be out by then.

Heaven knows what the $NZ will be doing next year. Between Brexit and the Russo-Ukraine war, foreign exchange could be all over the place. Either way, RAM will be annoyingly expensive. And Zen 2 might be very particular about timings.

If money is no object, you can rip threads in style. You could flog that machine for 10 years, and it would still be worth $5K when you came to sell it. Worth it for the display, alone. Treat yo'self.
hagfish

Postby phill » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 am

until 2 days ago when i read about the new intel it would have been a rysen or i7 - i9 ( imminent price drop will likely mean i9 )
water cooling and a perspex case .. the current case has had many configurations so a good setup will last many more
gpu still needs research .. price v speed v power bill

most of my systems have been brought on the back end of the price wave ... so stuff thats maybe 2-3 years old
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby retroman33366 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:33 am

Well Im a make what I got work for years! last rig did 10 years! and it is in the same case that I had 15 years ago or more there is no window so what lights up is not an issue. The last bit of gear mother board CPU ram graphics Im expecting 5 to 10 years. Havent run windows on my main workstation for 20 years now so been on the Linux for too long think I'm certified as committed maybe the loony bin next year... Davinci Resolve Studio a version earlier than available today although I could get it to run (long and arduous cluster****) It was what I called stealth software as even the operator could not see what was going on and it did not like my professional grade audio interface... its times like these I like to clone the system before I put anything on from off distribution sources Just to say it left a mess that was unmentionable. Blender is fun once I put in the NVIDIA current cuda development pack in as the GTX1060/6 was not in the distros cuda supported list! so when you get it going it is stable and good but getting it there well that's the fun part!
retroman33366

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:39 am

No thought of a cluster of Pi 3B+ units as a render farm?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hellonearthis » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:21 pm

For the RTX it's a matter of finding software to use the new ray tracing features.
I would wait until AV1 encoding is supported in hardware supports it.
hellonearthis

Return to Today's column