I love this (19 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

I love this (19 Dec, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1219.shtml

Is this one of the best uses you've ever seen for modern technology?

But why are the faces pixelated?

Why were the police not interested in pursuing the criminals in the first place, especially when presented with video evidence of the thefts?

Why do NZ police all-too-often have the same attitude, that they're "too busy" to pursue such crimes -- but never too busy to fine you for an overdue rego?

Do offenders have too many rights and victims have too few?

Should the type of raw justice seen in that YouTube video be praised -- or will some bleeding-heart come along and demand that someone think of the poor offenders feelings and rights?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I love this (19 Dec, 2018)

Postby latewings » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:15 am

This is clever, and in terms of engineering a masterpiece.

It would be very nice if copy-cat attempts are limited to this level of attack, but alas the universe doesn't work that way. The needle in fruit episode in Auckland in September after the Australian strawberry incident shows that. Some dullard may increase the payload that could seriously maim the next perpetrator. While some may claim justice I don't work that way. However if the spirit of the prank is maintained there's a lot of fun to be had against those who lack respect for other's possessions.

The fart payload was a fantastic touch. A commenter from Reddit, where i originally saw this mentioned a claxon or piercing siren would have added to the sensory experience for the 'victim'.

My comeback for anyone with a ventricle disorder is: who really is the victim? When you can answer that correctly I'll give you the time of day, otherwise you're wasting oxygen.
latewings

Postby hagfish » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:36 am

I think one problem with 'man-traps' is that inevitably - overwhelmingly - the only person who gets 'trapped' is the trap-builder.

I got as far as the first line before guessing what the video would be. Even if it later proves to be 'faaake', it's still hilarious.

As you suggest, I'm fully expecting a raft of copy-cat pranks, some of which will use some form of explosive (maybe one of those paint-bomb 'dye packs'). Sure enough, someone will crash their car and there will be a big stink, and guess who will get in the most trouble?
hagfish

Postby phill » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 am

latewings wrote: A commenter from Reddit, where i originally saw this mentioned a claxon or piercing siren would have added to the sensory experience for the 'victim'.

yup i had thought about using a boat canned air siren the blast of air from it would be redirected to disperse the glitter to greater heights ( 1.5 second delay from when cover is clear of the top )

apparently its a big problem in the states and no doubt will get larger here
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 am

I contemplated the thought of using real shit instead of glitter but figured you wouldn’t want to piss the arseholes off too much in case they seek revenge...
Perhaps having a business card that is flung out by the glitter disc, warning them that their photos have already been uploaded to the cloud and that trying anything too smart would be dumb. The fish-hook there is that they probably already know that the Plods will be too busy to follow up no matter how much evidence is spoon fed to them. Like the tales of folk who have their phone stolen, know exactly where it is via “Find My iPhone” or the Android equivalent, but still get turned down, presumably because it’s too much hassle to seek a search warrant.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby decibel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 am

An extra thing to like about the video, is that the guy knows how to use a soldering iron.

All hope is not lost for the younger generation.
decibel

Postby Weasel » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:12 am

> Why were the police not interested in pursuing the criminals in the first place, especially when presented with video evidence of the thefts?

They don't care, just like they don't care about your stolen car. Why? Because they're busy with real crimes, the stuff the media often doesn't get a hold of to blow up into something sensational. Oh you want them to care? ok, the solution there is to have more police so that they might have time to follow up on smaller things..

The "not too busy to setup checkpoints" argument does not fly in the western US, why? Because they typically just don't bother with these time wasting exercises along with not pulling people over unless they're clearly exceeding the speed limit by 10+mph (yes you read that correctly) ! They're also not wasting time busting people for pot, why? Because its legal, and harmless.. What to drunk people do? Stupid sh*t that often results in harm to them selves or other people. What do stoned people do? Watch a movie, eat a bag of snacks, and go-to bed. Amazing, but true :)

Anyways, package theft is real problem here, and people will in plain daylight roam the streets in their cars looking for packages to grab.
Weasel

Postby Muz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 am

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1219.shtml

Do offenders have too many rights and victims have too few?

I love NZ. When we were living in the Bay of Islands we managed a Holiday Park and owned a fishing charter boat.

When we caught freeloaders sneaking into the campground to use our showers, I used to barricade their vehicle until they paid for what they used. The police told me that the theft of my services was a civil matter, however if I continued to prevent these thieves from leaving my campground then they would charge me with kidnapping.

At the same time, the ministry of fisheries decided that we had to produce detailed reports of what fish we were catching and where (so that they could pass it on to their commercial buddies). I was forbidden to let my clients off the boat until the report was completed.

Moving to a small town in the South Island reveals quite a bit of old time policing. Very hands on and a desire to show their presence (and interest) early as they know that early intervention saves a whole lot of work later on.
Muz

Postby phill » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 am

Weasel wrote:They don't care, just like they don't care about your stolen car. Why? Because they're busy with real crimes, the stuff the media often doesn't get a hold of to blow up into something sensational. Oh you want them to care? ok, the solution there is to have more police so that they might have time to follow up on smaller things..

while it probably is as far as atrophying the brain goes
we dont call trolling facebook for hours a "real crime " here
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column