Another year done and dusted (21 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Another year droned & dusted (21 Dec, 2018)

Postby Perry » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:13 am

Whatever happened to those signal-blocking, drone-disabling thingame whatits which were supposed to be able to be aimed at a drone and take-over radio control command of them? If it wasn't fake news, then why don't airports have such things, ready to go?

Drones: UK airports to go on counter-attack with 'killer' devices
Perry

Re: Another year done and dusted (21 Dec, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:34 am

There are a couple of issues with them:

1. they're illegal in most countries -- even for the government to use. Radio Spectrum regulations are quite strict and apply to *everyone*. It is an offense to deliberately interfere with another system using an ISM band (as drones generally do).

2. they don't tend to work very well (the inverse square law and the fact that drones use spread-spectrum technologies that were designed to be difficult to jam really work against these things.

3. many modern drones can be programmed to fly autonomously through a set of pre-determined waypoints and thus require no radio link to the ground-station in order to fly.

4. most of these systems are simply a fantastic way for tech companies to separate gullible customers from the huge amounts of money they charge for these things.

I see that the authorities are *finally* accepting my suggestion that you're better to fight drones with drones:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tro ... er-devices

Hell, if they weren't so "not invented/thought-of here" in their attitudes, they could have had dozens of such "killer drones" stationed around the perimeter at Gatwick within hours of the problem starting. Mind you, that always assumes that there *was* a drone at Gatwick and that this wasn't just a cover for something more sinister (perhaps a terror threat) or just a case of public hysteria driven by the media).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column