Another million-dollar idea? (22 Jan, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Another million-dollar idea? (22 Jan, 2019)

Postby psycik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

And takeaways where you bring your own bowls, plates
psycik

Postby phord » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

I was at The Warehouse just before Christmas.
I noticed some plastic guns in the toys section.
These plastic guns are quite heavy and bulky.
Off to the land fill when they break.
Kids need better quality toy guns to play with that will last longer.
They do have a valid use I suppose, they teach kids how to aim a gun at someone when they grow up.
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/nerf-zombie-strike-survival-scravenger/R2457211.html#q=gun&sz=164&start=1
phord

Postby Muz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:20 am

psycik wrote:
Countdowns meat trays are recyclable - of course you have to clean them first. All that other soft plastic was able to be be taken back to the supermarkets until plastic bags stopped, then it went away also.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Apparently not. Our local recycling centre doesn't accept class 1 plastics which is what the meat trays are made out of. NZ is being conned again :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Muz

Postby psycik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am

Muz wrote:
psycik wrote:
Countdowns meat trays are recyclable - of course you have to clean them first. All that other soft plastic was able to be be taken back to the supermarkets until plastic bags stopped, then it went away also.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Apparently not. Our local recycling centre doesn't accept class 1 plastics which is what the meat trays are made out of. NZ is being conned again :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hmm ours are green (in colour), maybe they're from Waitoa chicken, rather than countdown.

EDIT: also they're accepted at road side....but that doesn't mean it's not being rejected further up the recycling chain....
Last edited by psycik on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
psycik

Postby Muz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 am

phord wrote:I was at The Warehouse just before Christmas.
I noticed some plastic guns in the toys section.
These plastic guns are quite heavy and bulky.
Off to the land fill when they break.
Kids need better quality toy guns to play with that will last longer.
They do have a valid use I suppose, they teach kids how to aim a gun at someone when they grow up.
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/nerf-zombie-strike-survival-scravenger/R2457211.html#q=gun&sz=164&start=1

We own a Holiday Park business. I'm constantly having to dispose of Bunnings "single use" deck chairs, cheap gazebos and all sorts of cheap crap that should never been allowed into the country.
Muz

Postby paulw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:I wish I could peek 50 years into the future...

I wonder if we'd find that many aspects of life in 2069 would be like life in 1959 -- because they'd have to be.

Appliances and devices would no longer be "throw-away" items, they'd be both repairable and upgradable... something forced on us by dwindling resources and a real problem with overflowing rubbish tips.

Packaging at the supermarket would consist of stuff like brown paper and string around your meat items, hessian bags for your flour and sugar, wooden boxes for your tea, spices and such, waxed paper for your bread, -- and glass bottles for milk and other liquids.

What do you think... possible?

Yep and wages will still be the same as today but the cost of living will be 500% more due to the ecoworriers.
paulw

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 pm

I don’t know about Tok, but several supermarkets in ChCh already have recycled paper bags with stout handles for a nominal sum. The other neat idea I saw this morning was very dainty fine mesh bag that is light enough to be used for fruit and veg without having to empty them out for weighing at the checkout.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby hellonearthis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Saved the supermarket a heap in the costs of those free plastic bags. When the supermarkets tried to sell them, they lost business to the places that offered free bags.
So greenwash the idea and the supermarket wins. And out the back the supermarkets have skip bins full of soft plastics destined for the landfill.

I wanted one of the supermarkets to take the waste soft plastic, melt it in an augur while mixing it with sand and pressing out cheap paving blocks. (plastic doesn't even have to be that clean as the 200c kills them nasty germs)

sweating milk bottle/frozen foods vs paper bag... Cost over $1 each from aliexpress

hellonearthis

Postby hiscoca » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Funny thing is the company I work for recently invested 10's of Millions in a food grade paper bag business, it would be quite capable (and does) make the bags you describe
hiscoca

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Don't get me wrong, we recycle EVERYTHING WE CAN, because we're green.

Actually it's because we are rural so don't get any rubbish pickups, so we recycle everything we possibly can as it's free, and compost any food and food waste, peel etc.
I even crush the cans in my home made crusher, so lots go into an old paint container with lid.
Simple - rubbish bags cost money, and we don't want to pay for them...

At the recycle centre, there's all sort of stupid signs "MILK BOTTLES ONLY".. but hang on, they are labelled with a '1' right ? so everything else with a '1' goes in the same bin.
"Food Trays Only" in another bin, although they are 5,6,7... ?? "Soda Bottles ONLY" I keep asking why they don't have numbers, but I just get a shrug... obviously it's too hard and/or the
locals are too dumb.

As far as I'm concerned if it has a number with the recycle symbol it goes in somewhere, after all the official website SAYS they take 1-7, even if there's no obvious bin.
I don't quite understand how they get away with actually charging money for 'green waste' - isn't that completely recyclable too ??

But of course I secretly know that much of the recyclable stuff (mostly plastic) probably goes to landfill anyway, but I've done my bit....
par_annoyed

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column