The next big thing in tech? (30 Jan, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The next big thing in tech? (30 Jan, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:27 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0130.shtml

Is the man-machine interface about to take a huge step?

How long before we develop robust, reliable, highly efficient ways of interfacing directly between our brains and our computers?

What doors will this open for the advancement of mankind and his technology?

Will the only hurdle be "the powers that be" and their fears?

Would it be a good or bad idea to extend our existing communications network into a global network of connected human brains, capable of sharing thoughts, ideas and even emotions with anyone else on the planet in much the same way that we currently make a simple phone call?

What types of things would benefit most from a direct man/machine interface like this and what new applications could be found?

Could "the mark of the beast" be the cyber-interface port that people will undoubtedly end up having fitted at an early age [just to please the regligious within the Aardvark audience]
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The next big thing in tech? (30 Jan, 2019)

Postby Perry » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:05 am

Could be a hacker's dream come true?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 am

Yeah, I can imagine the potential: "Hello, I'm sorry I won't be able to come to work today, I've been hacked" :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:01 am

Does this technology mean I have to organise my brain?

No good for me then......
goosemoose

Postby par_annoyed » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:42 am

Just watch all those Black Mirror episodes again.....(not the first one!) Both military and civil themes. The idea of direct brain/computer interfacing used many times across the various episodes.
As a person with somewhat dystopian views of the future, I think they are all pretty much bang on predictions for this kind of discussion. 'Nuff said.
par_annoyed

Postby joeseph » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Would it be a good or bad idea to extend our existing communications network into a global network of connected human brains, capable of sharing thoughts, ideas and even emotions with anyone else on the planet in much the same way that we currently make a simple phone call?

picture the improvement that could be made in any of the local councils around the country!
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 am

joeseph wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Would it be a good or bad idea to extend our existing communications network into a global network of connected human brains, capable of sharing thoughts, ideas and even emotions with anyone else on the planet in much the same way that we currently make a simple phone call?

picture the improvement that could be made in any of the local councils around the country!

How would they get around the inevitable error message: "Connection failed -- no brain found"
:lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column