Greed cometh before... (7 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Greed cometh before... (7 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0207.shtml

How will TradeMe cope when Amazon opens shop here in New Zealand?

Will we see a mass-flight of sellers from a platform that is now busy imposing its own money-making schemes on sellers -- or will there be a stubborn loyalty?

What was wrong with the old "Pay Now" system that allowed me to pay for a purchase using my credit or debit card without the need to "register" that card with the "Ping" service?

Is the mortar in TM's wall of invincibility starting to crumble... if only slightly?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Greed cometh before... (7 Feb, 2019)

Postby GadgetFreak » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:59 am

Of course one could use a direct-transfer to the seller's bank account but the only problem is that if you get even a single digit wrong you can end up sending the money to the wrong account

Yeeaaahhh - Really, Bruce?
I use both ANZ and Westpac banks, neither have a problem with a cut-and-pasted bank acct # from the "pay me now" email from TradeMe: both auto-format the account number on their online payments page (ignoring dahses, spaces and adding 0's as necessary).
There can be an issue with delayed payments betweeen banks, but that's another issue.

As for the "Ping" issue - I have a visa debit card with $0 overdraft facility (normally runs a balance of less that $1.00)
Any time I want to pay for something - whether Ping, AliExpress or DealExtreme, etc - I transfer the appropriate amount across to it.

Works well, and if some "bad actor" wants to go after the $0.73 average in the account, more power to them!
So - yeah, I get your vent, but there are simple ways to either avoid or work with the system if you're so inclined.
GadgetFreak

Postby phill » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 am

slight segway
i had a need for good quality 18650s ( high drain and low drain )
after a quick delve into youtube i found some interesting ideas ( even more surprising .. they worked )

if you want high capacity low drain 18650's salvage them from old lap top batteries
if you want high drain ( will be lesser capacity ) .. find ( dead ) good quality brand cordless tool packs

in the normal course of events 1 pair of cells will fail before the others ( will read 0-1 volt )
the others will often be higher than 3v and are fine to go on living

* WARNING * you are dealing with extremely dangerous levels of power available so all procedures must be done perfectly

keep the batteries in their original pairs ( always )
carefully roll off the connexion straps with needle nose pliers ( do not pull or snap off ) .. if there is any damage toss the cell and use the other one of the pair for single battery use
if any part of the cover shows wear or damage re-wrap the battery ( shrinkwrap .. purpose order from sino )
recharge the batteries with a good quality charger ( always )

done right you have good quality postless 18650 batteries for use for very little ( i was paying $38 a pair for new high drain ones )

done wrong you have a fire and high risk of explosion

most of the rebuilt car battery replacement packs are done this way from recovered old packs
Last edited by phill on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Malcolm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 am

Yeah, this is how I get most of my 18650. You want the larger battery packs, not the new ultrathin style ones obviously. Although they usually have some useful battery cells in them, they are not 18650. Biggest hazard is watch out for sharp bits of metal from the connectors etc and the plastic can be a bit tough to break apart initially. Also it is usually only a single cell that has failed, not the pair so you don't need to toss both.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 am

Malcolm wrote: Also it is usually only a single cell that has failed, not the pair so you don't need to toss both.

yeh but the voltage will be really low and that requires a different charge method and the battery is always suss and may fail early and quite spectacularly

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Malcolm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am

phill wrote:
Malcolm wrote: Also it is usually only a single cell that has failed, not the pair so you don't need to toss both.

yeh but the voltage will be really low and that requires a different charge method and the battery is always suss and may fail early and quite spectacularly

Not always, every battery pack I have opened I have found 5 cells sitting at around 4V with no load, and one at zero or slightly above zero. I haven't had any of the ones which were initially good go bad from my admittedly light usage of them. You only need to toss the one bad cell.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 am

> 3.2v = good
< 2 v = very bad

most recycle centres now have a special storage for batteries and packs
i just asked
i guess its just luck or random chance
all the ones i have redone have had 1 failed cell with its partner at very low volts and the rest were fine ( > 3.2v )

phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 am

LiIon cells can only be safely discharged to 2.5V per cell -- and even then it pays to bring them back up to a "storage" (3.7V) charge as quickly as possible to prevent damage.

The cells I want are very specifically the 3500mAH cells that can be discharged at up to 10A. This is for RC model use. Lower-discharge (less than 3C) are of no use and I suspect many of the laptop cells have either less capacity or a lower C rating than I need.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:09 pm

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/xfa-b ... ew-entries
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attac ... eg.781203/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog- ... ests.7436/

last link will help you select what is available and appropriate
read em all the guy deserves his rep as a battery guru

the one point he hammers is most manufacturers overate their batteries
err ok and safety

and yes all the laptop batteries i have recovered are 5A max discharge

phill

Return to Today's column