Any excuse to play the victim? (11 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Any excuse to play the victim? (11 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:19 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0211.shtml

What is the problem with the world today when certain individuals and groups constantly look for opportunities to be offended or play the victim?

Seriously why would a group of Asians find being collectively described as such offensive?

Why should one people's culture be so much more important than another's?

Why is shin-kicking any different to karate, kick-boxing or a raft of other personal combat sports that are widely accepted?

Given that it's mid-summer, where the hell did all these snowflakes come from?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Any excuse to play the victim? (11 Feb, 2019)

Postby hiscoca » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 am

Shin kicking hell yeah, only I am going to wear my work boots and my chosen opponent will be that leftist leaning local RAG reporter now that would be fun
hiscoca

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:24 am

Ah, the Olden Days. Or as Douglas Adams put it:
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 am

There's still scope for a bit of biffo among consenting adults. This craziness went down at Saturday's 'Medieval Market' in Levin. All good fun, and only one ambulance needed.

Most groups don't get to name themselves. We indulge the few exceptions (the Inuit, the Sen) because the rest of us feel a bit bad. Most ethnic groups get named by those they contend with down the years. If you decide the name you've been given is a pejorative, maybe that's on you. For me, I'm content to take up 'Pākeha' and run with it.
hagfish

Postby goosemoose » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am

That Jossiah guys sounds like an egg. Wonder how he'll get on banning all those violent rugby league and union clubs, not to mention numerous "violent" sports activities around the district.
goosemoose

Postby phill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 am

' racially profiled "
an interesting description .. no doubt designed to pre beg the question
so what happened to offend them
did the waitress notice their eyes were horizontal ? perhaps the round face stood out or maybe the skin colour
how dare she notice such things .. every good teen girl knows it should have been "bad taste in skirts, shoes, top, eyebrows or hairstyle " that should have been used
or has that gone in the bullying section now

it wasnt that long ago that the term asians was insisted on rather than the more common dink, slope or gook

it will be interesting soon when the law agencies discover pc and a description of an offender needs to be published
where does it go
wearing ..eww cant use that ... it may be considered offensive to the financially disadvantaged or visually colour challenged or a cultural taonga
height .. oops the vertically challenged are around
hair .. maybe its insensitive to a cancer or support thing
weight .. haha we all know that problem

after a decade or so im still trying to get over the silly comment made on top gear when clarkson was filming a road and pedestrian bridge in south america that had been built on an angle and he was severely admonished and fined for saying .. "there is a slope on that bridge "
err .. there is !!
Last edited by phill on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Malcolm » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 am

Just assign them a number, just to drive home the fact that to any business you interact with you are nothing but a number to them.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 pm

phill wrote:it wasnt that long ago that the term asians was insisted on rather than the more common dink, slope or gook

Those were always slurs, but my poor father-in-law still refers to folks from east Asia as 'orientals', thinking he's all up with the PC-play. At least he doesn't call 'em 'celestials', I suppose :lol:
hagfish

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

aardvark_admin wrote: Thanks to evolutionary pressures, only the strong survived and each generation saw the species become better adapted to the sometimes challenging environment in which they lived.
I have no problem with what you wrote about snowflakes, but I cringe when you talk about Evolution and "devolution". You are repeating beliefs from the 19th century. In 1968 the Japanese biologist Motoo Kimura proposed the Neutral theory of molecular evolution. At the molecular level most evolutionary changes and most of the variation within and between species is not caused by natural selection but by genetic drift of mutant alleles that are neutral. A neutral mutation is one that does not affect an organism's ability to survive and reproduce. An example would when the common ancestor of humans and great apes lost the ability to synthesise its own vitamin C.
Muscular Jam

Return to Today's column