Paywalls, prices and best-by dates (21 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Paywalls, prices and best-by dates (21 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0221.shtml

Seriously, does the NZH really think that erecting a paywall will do anything other than drive traffic to Stuff?

And how clever are SkyTV... ignoring the demands of customers and hiking prices in the face of fierce competition from Netflix. Where will SkyTV be in five year's time do you think?

Will you embrace a *real* competitor to TradeMe with open arms? I think you might be surprised at what could be rolled out later this year in what I believe is something that could slay TM and shatter its dominance? Yes, TM may well have (finally) reached its "best-by" date.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Paywalls, prices and best-by dates (21 Feb, 2019)

Postby Malcolm » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:37 am

aardvark_admin wrote:And how clever are SkyTV... ignoring the demands of customers and hiking prices in the face of fierce competition from Netflix. Where will SkyTV be in five year's time do you think?

Really depends on how Spark does with the RWC coverage. If they nail it, and then off the back of that acquire the rights to Super Rugby/ITM/Tri Nations then that is the end.
Malcolm

Postby phord » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

I'm sworn to secrecy -- but giddy with excitement ;-)

WOW - this is unusual in view of your everlasting scepticism.
Do you have shares in this new company?
phord

Postby phill » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am

Malcolm wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:And how clever are SkyTV... ignoring the demands of customers and hiking prices in the face of fierce competition from Netflix. Where will SkyTV be in five year's time do you think?

Really depends on how Spark does with the RWC coverage. If they nail it, and then off the back of that acquire the rights to Super Rugby/ITM/Tri Nations then that is the end.

they may be working on the hope that some people will pay whatever it costs .. ( and to be fair some will )

they are the ones that if they have to pay for multiple services they will do that as well ( and probably already do )
whether there is enough of them to support the sky model is the burning question

as for the majority its a case of what service provides their content preference the best
so what is the order of importance for them
internationals, super or local ( i believe internationals have to be shown on fta within a reasonable time )

for sure few will decry the 451st showing of the kardasians going missing
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Seriously, does the NZH really think that erecting a paywall will do anything other than drive traffic to Stuff?

They lost me when they started putting auto playing video all over the place.
And how clever are SkyTV... ignoring the demands of customers and hiking prices in the face of fierce competition from Netflix.

Must be using the same management consultants as Cadbury.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Malcolm » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:48 am

Most people I know with Sky only have it because it has been the only option for live sports. They lose the All Blacks and they lose a lot. Most don't care too much for the other channels. They just provide some background noise between rugby games. Sky still has a big advantage for local games, in that they own the production and broadcast facilities. It is all shot on Sky cameras with Sky operators and Sky producers, commentators etc. Sure a new player like Spark could set up their own facilities but it will take time and money. They will probably focus on getting NZ rights to events overseas for now.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 am

The problem that Sky faces is one of falling revenues from those other channels -- which means they'll have less money to support their live sports operations. Both the OB kit/people and the rights will have to be paid from a much smaller revenue-base and at some stage, they may find themselves unableto sustain their sports operations. All it would take is for someone else (maybe even an FTA broadcaster) to outbid them and they're stuffed.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

The Sky is Falling (on TM?)

Postby Perry » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Sky responding by raising prices? Sounds like NZ Post.
Prices will increase and service will decline until profitability improves.

As for TradeMe, they may be able to lower prices to squeeze out any new competition.
That sort of thing has happened before.
Perry

Return to Today's column