Are things really this bad? (8 May, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Are things really this bad? (8 May, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 08, 2019 7:28 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0508.shtml

I've highlighted just two of the many videos that "call a spade a spade" when it comes to the performance and corruption of so-called democratic governments around the Western World.

Could the recent move to clamp down on free speech via social media be as much about trying to suppress such "frank and honest" opinions as it is about disempowering terror organisations?

And if these videos are even remotely true... should we be worried about the steeply declining standards within the governments of Western nations?

Or is this simply "business as usual" but with the added element of a more public spotlight to highlight the incompetence and corruption?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Are things really this bad? (8 May, 2019)

Postby Perry » Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 pm

Bruce wrote: Should we be worried?

Yes.

Will it work?

No.
Perry

Postby patrick » Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm

The guy in that video is a Brexit obsessed idiot, in his retirement years like most of the Brexit obsessed "gammon".

It was a close margin vote swayed by tens of millions of pounds spent on deceptive Facebook adverts. The problem was that Brexit wasn't defined in any way so people didn't have a clue what they were voting for except "£350 million/week to the NHS (health service)" - which was a totally false claim as the Brexiteers admitted afterwards. The poorer areas of the country that voted for Brexit are those most impacted financially by it as they're now starting to realise.

The surveys now show that if a referendum was held now then the result would be the opposite - now that the people have more of an idea of the impact on the economy and their own incomes. It makes no sense to turn Britain into an isolated nation, it has far more negotiating power as part of the EU block. We've already seen trillions of pounds invested in the UK banking system flow out into Europe and many jobs and business investment go that way too.

I think it's likely the current quagmire will eventually lead towards another referendum and the vote will be the opposite.
patrick

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 pm

The whole Brexit thing is incredibly divisive isn't it?

I guess when the margin was that small then there is always going to be at least half the population that are unhappy with the outcome. What I find interesting is that in talking to people, it seems that the split is almost entirely related to age.

Oldies want Brexit, younger folk don't.

Perhaps the best lesson to be learned from this is for young folk who know appreciate that if you don't use your vote then you can't determine your own future.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:I guess when the margin was that small then there is always going to be at least half the population that are unhappy with the outcome. What I find interesting is that in talking to people, it seems that the split is almost entirely related to age.

Oldies want Brexit, younger folk don't. Perhaps the best lesson to be learned from this is for young folk who know appreciate that if you don't use your vote then you can't determine your own future.

Or maybe it's that the "young folk" are readily suckered and the "oldies" still have their antennae intact and can identify and respond to BS for what it really is?
Perry

Postby phill » Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 pm

at this point .. the best option would be to leave the EU .. then if you want, negotiate a much better deal to return .. bearing in mind the uk's entry to the EU was when it consisted of fairly economically stable countries and not ones where undesirables make more money by being on the dole in the uk ( paid for by the UK not the EU ) than the average wage in their country of origin ... and many many take advantage of this
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column