The world feels weird (24 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The world feels weird (24 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:35 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0324.shtml

Here we are on the eve of the lockdown and everything feels strangely weird.

Do you have plans in place to weather the storms of financial and personal isolation?

What do you plan to do for the next four weeks?

And happy birthday Aardvark, what a shame nobody can come to the party :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The world feels weird (24 Mar, 2020)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 am

[waits for the No admittance except on Party business banner to appear]
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 am

BAU here, luckily still working remotely. I'm used to being here for a couple of weeks at a time without going into town so it won' be anything too much out of the ordinary, except for the Missus, she won't be working so she'll be around during the day. Will have to whip into town at some stage for supplies, looking forward to seeing what it looks like with no one supposed to be out and about.

Looking forward to the idiots coming out of the woodwork. From the "it's a volation of my rights" idiot to the "Why isn't the govt helping me now" type. And don't forget the type that only get's their news from Facebook "Crystals and Consipiracy Theories" feeds.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 am

goosemoose wrote:Looking forward to the idiots coming out of the woodwork. From the "it's a volation of my rights" idiot to the "Why isn't the govt helping me now" type. And don't forget the type that only get's their news from Facebook "Crystals and Consipiracy Theories" feeds.

You mean "chemtrails" didn't cause the virus???? :o :o :o
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 am

aardvark_admin wrote:
goosemoose wrote:Looking forward to the idiots coming out of the woodwork. From the "it's a volation of my rights" idiot to the "Why isn't the govt helping me now" type. And don't forget the type that only get's their news from Facebook "Crystals and Consipiracy Theories" feeds.

You mean "chemtrails" didn't cause the virus???? :o :o :o

Don't be silly man!! It's no coincidence that with 5G coming in we get this virus. :lol:
goosemoose

Postby Muz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am

What horrified me was takeaways like Dominos are seen as essential businesses but the wine harvest in Marlborough is not. What were they thinking? :o :o :o :o
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 am

Yeah, it all seems a bit odd.

I'm not sure about whether I'm legally allowed to travel to my workshop or not.

Commonsense would dictate that if I'm not actually going near anyone who isn't in my isolation group then there's no risk. The fact that I would be travelling alone (or with the wife) and that, at the airfield, I would also be alone, strikes me as being a "safe" undertaking. Certainly this would be *FAR* safer than going down to the supermarket for a loaf of bread or a few litres of milk.

However, I wonder if the police and the military (the enforcers of this lockdown) would be as pragmatic?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 am

NZ locked down is not what you would think a lock down will be

"If you are arriving in New Zealand now, you need to get straight to where you are self-isolating, preferably in a private car."

"NZ Post will deliver mail. Also, courier drivers will continue deliveries."

"Seeking clarity on dairies staying open. Supermarkets are an absolute yes, food and beverage production are a yes, this would depend on the area they catered for and the size of the business. Likely a yes if they are providing food to small communities." Our butcher is staying open - great as I wasn't quite ready to become a vegetarian

"Taxi drivers and rideshare services are considered essential services so they will continue."

"Rubbish and recycling will continue because it classified as an essential service."

"Vets are considered an essential service."

"People can go for a drive. But they should only do so with others that they are in isolation with. And they should maintain two metres distance from others when they get to their destination and not meet or congregate in public spaces. So people can get fresh air and a change of scene. "

Truck drivers delivering goods are obviously allowed too.

So you can't go to the pub or the movies or go shopping in a department store or in some cases to work. Apart from that it appears that it's life as normal.

and in answer to your question about your workshop Bruce -

Scenario: I have a friend who is a gardener and she is wondering if she will still be able to work as she works alone and rarely sees anyone. She lives in a house with two other people. Should she stop working?

Answer: At level 4 only essential services may continue, so this person will be required to stay at home.

Do I think that this whole scenario will work. Nah! Not a chance. People are too selfish to allow it to be voluntary.
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am

I think that, as usual, we have over-prescriptive rules designed to deal with the dimmest bulbs.

Most intelligent people can be given an objective (ie: isolation) and work out what's acceptable/effective and what's not.

What has totally baffled me is the supermarket situation...

Supermarkets have implemented maximum quantities (ie: no more than two of anything) and this means that people can no longer "shop as normal" (as Jacinda puts it) because they can't buy a week's worth of groceries in a single visit. Instead, they're now forced to visit the supermarket every couple of days -- which *massively* increases the risk of virus spread through association.

For goodness sake... why don't we have a staggered system so that (for instance)... on Mondays, people with surnames starting with the leters A through F can shop. On Tuesdays, the G through K, Wednesday it's L through P... etc, etc. Remove the "two items" limit and allow those people to buy an entire week's worth of groceries so that nobody has to visit the supermarket more than once a week (or two). This would significantly reduce the numbers in the supermarkets and allow more time for restocking of shelves etc.

It's not rocket science!

As it is, the imposed quantity restrictions are forcing people into contact with others far more frequently than would be necessary if someone had a brain!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

From the Covid19 government website:
You may go for a walk or exercise and enjoy nature, but keep a 2 metre distance from people at all times. You can take your children outside.

Remember, whatever you do must be solitary. We're asking that you only spend time with those who you are in self-isolation with, and keep your distance from all others at all times

Driving in private vehicles is allowed.

Private Vehicles and active travel
Using private vehicles for transport is allowed. Where possible, practice physical distancing.
Personal walks and other active travel is fine, provided you follow the two metre physical distancing requirement at all times.

From this I would deduce that it would be allowable for me to travel the few Kms from my house to my workshop -- both of which I consider to be environments where I can ensure isolation.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column