I am in trouble (again) (6 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

I am in trouble (again) (6 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:15 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0806.shtml

Yes, I'm banging heads with yet another government bureaucracy again. This time however, I seem to have a huge level of support, some of it from the most unexpected quarter.

CAA is now in uncharted waters -- they've come up against someone who will not back down for fear of losing a privilege over which they have total control.

This time the little guy is challenging their outdated rules, their myopic policies and their culture of bullying.

Why the hell don't these people just grab a decent handful of commonsense and pragmatism? Come work WITH me to make the skies safer instead of demonstrating your ineptitude and incompetence -- please!

Any guesses as to what will happen next and what the ultimate outcome will be?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I am in trouble (again) (6 Aug, 2020)

Postby phord » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 pm

Is it just coincidence thatthese job opportunitieshave suddenly appeared?

Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 887 times
phord

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Oh no, perhaps their servers are not set up to cope with all the interest this vacancy has created since I mentioned it on my YT community tab and Twitter :-)

How unfortunate.

Fortunately I took a screen-shot (since I know how these things often "disappear" when highlighted)
Attachments
caajobs.png
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:53 pm

The Slashdot Effect to be renamed to the XJet Effect? :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:13 pm

LOL... possibly.

However, it does prove my point that I have far more influence over the target of CAA's drone regulations than CAA itself does. It would make no sense therefore if they did not accept my offer to get together and come up with a plan for making the skies safer through our mutual efforts.

I've made the offer, they will be judged on their response (or more likely, their lack of response) I guess.

Remember that I'm not trying to make CAA look incompetent or silly... just providing the opportunity for them to do so -- or to redeem themselves in the eyes of those of for who respect is the most powerful factor in compliance.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Bruce wrote:Perhaps the only way to really deal with out-of-control bureaucracies is the old adage: "Let he who lives by the immutable policy, die by the immutable policy".

Another quote (from me!) that might be helpful in your efforts.

The best way to outsmart a bureaucrat is to know his / her book of rules better than he / she does.

It has served me well, on a few past occasions.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Yes, but the problem is that sometimes they also get really pissy and take it personally -- whereby vendettas are created and things go downhill rapidly.

For those following the situation, I have emailed CAA and suggested sorting out the mess they seem to have gotten themselves into.

Because I can't be sure that CAA saw my last video -- or should I say that I can't be sure that "the right people" in CAA saw my last video, I have emailed Dean Winter (Acting Deputy Chief Executive Aviation Safety) of CAA and suggested that we get together to resolve outstanding issues and formulate a plan to move forward in a cooperative manner that ensures the skies are as safe as possible whilst perhaps also giving the hobby a voice within the Authority that it presently does not have.

My goal has never been to vilify or embarrass CAA, I have simply documented my experiences. If CAA is prepared to work with me to address the issues that clearly exist with their processes and if I can use my influence in the hobby to promote greater awareness of risks and responsibilities associated with drone/RC flying then I am certain we can work together in a synergistic manner that benefits everyone.

I would also like to think that by working cooperatively, CAA and myself could break new ground because I'm not aware of any other authority that has forged such a relationship with an independent influencer with the goal of improving communications between the community and the regulator and boosting overall safety levels.

I have offered Mr Winter confidentiality if he requests it and if he does avail himself of that offer I will respect that confidentiality so would not be publishing the details of any such meetings, only the outcomes.

We will now wait to see what response (if any) is forthcoming.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Bruce wrote:I would also like to think that by working cooperatively, CAA and myself could break new ground because I'm not aware of any other authority that has forged such a relationship with an independent influencer with the goal of improving communications between the community and the regulator and boosting overall safety levels.

Likely because such is neither allowed or is 'frowned upon' in official circles.

No gov't dept. is allowed to admit to defer to private citizens for policy advice because such would invalidate the authoritative gov't dept. "we know best" infallibility stance. (And arrogance) I.e. If you were that good, you'd be in our (gov't) employ.

I know - from experience.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:43 am

Well if that's the case, they "just keep digging" in respect to the opinion of a group they are charged with the duty of regulating -- and that has to be hugely counter to their mandate to promote and ensure safety.

If that's the case... and they simply hole-up, well, I have a plan for that too :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

We Consulted Syndrome

Postby Perry » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:28 am

Bruce wrote:. . . in respect to the opinion of a group . . .

That's moreorless the same as the gummint 'consulting.'

The gummint consults, cherry picks a few things that don't matter much so they can claim and show they consulted, then go ahead and do what they planned, all along.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column