A new oligopoly brewing? (10 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A new oligopoly brewing? (10 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0810.shtml

Are we about to see the creation of an oligopoly, formed with the intention of hiking prices in the highly competitive internet connectivity market?

Given that the taxpayer has thrown $1.5bn into the UFB, should government have a right to strictly regulate prices so as at avoid unwarrented increases?

Can you really believe that the CE of Chorus (the largest beneficiary of taxpayer investent in the UFB) doesn't understand (or chooses not to understand) that the value equation of technology always increases dramatically over time and isn't justification for hiking prices)?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A new oligopoly brewing? (10 Aug, 2020)

Postby greven » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:27 am

I bet the telcos aren't a fan of wholesale pricing being public knowledge - it makes it harder for them to manipulate public opinion.
greven

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 am

Bruce wrote: Although, as a matter of principle, I am steadfastly opposed to governments meddling in the free economy, I believe (by virtue of that taxpayer investment) that in the case of telecommunications, they have a right; no, an obligation; to make sure that there is no price gouging.

Mind you... taxpayers built most of NZ's electricity generation infrastructure and instead of protecting consumers from gouging, the government has become a willing partner in the oligopoly that resulted -- by demanding huge dividends from its SOEs in the industry.

Sigh! What hope do we really have?

None.

Politicians are like nappies and should be changed frequently - for the same reason.

That observed, one does have to step back a moment and look at voters and their minimal IQ.

Who in their right mind imagined that Labour & Dhil Twitford could conjure up 10,000 affordable houses a year from the existing pool of land, infrastructure, building materials and tradespeople? Only the morons who voted for them.

If only we could have big scoreboard-like election hoardings.

PRE-ELECTION-PROMISES
30,000 affordable house within 3 years. Score: less than 500. FAIL
Reduced immigration. Score: Little Change - even with covid-19 help. FAIL
And so on . . .

Perry

Postby hagfish » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:23 am

C'mon, Perry - you're better than this, aren't you?
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:25 am

Perry, this isn't Facebook.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 am

My goodness Perry, you're not a pseudonym for Hoskins and Hawkesby are you??
goosemoose

Postby phill » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm

i would not defend silly sindy .. or probably ever vote for her
but
the main reason we needed / need so many houses was because national flogged heaps of them off .. some to their mates
took the land that was in the best places and flogged that off .. mostly to their mates
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Let's not digress. 30,000 house was the pre-election promise - FAIL.
When voting, who in the right mind would believe such was possible?
Of either those voting or being voted for.
The other vexing part is those filling motels will forget and vote stupidly, again.
Bruce stressed the parallel with the electricity market, courtesy of Tax Madford.
Taxpayers have contributed $1.5bn to the UFB and can expect to be defrauded in some way or other.
Politicians simply cannot be trusted. Of any party.
Perry

Postby hagfish » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:13 pm

Perry wrote:Politicians simply cannot be trusted. Of any party.

Unless you plan to march out, plant a flag, and found the mighty Republic of Perrynium, this is the system we have. It only has to tide us over until the radioactive Coriolis storms sweep us into the sea, so why not elect nice people who will at least try?
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:26 pm

hagfish wrote:
Perry wrote:Politicians simply cannot be trusted. Of any party.

Unless you plan to march out, plant a flag, and found the mighty Republic of Perrynium, this is the system we have. It only has to tide us over until the radioactive Coriolis storms sweep us into the sea, so why not elect nice people who will at least try?

What is this party and these politicians that I have never heard of before? :lol: :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column