COVID-19 lies and incompetence (19 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

COVID-19 lies and incompetence (19 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:55 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0819.shtml

Is it time that those who deliberately deceive or exhibit incompetence are hurled onto the dole-queue so as to free up their positions for others that will be honest and capable?

Are the current levels of honesty and competence unacceptably low, even for politicians and civil servants?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 lies and incompetence (19 Aug, 2020)

Postby phill » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:26 am

translation
un public service the public service
snivel servants have spent decades feathering the nests for snivel servants on the pretext that they don't get the pay that equivalent level private sector workers get
( the fact that that is no longer close to a fact means nothing )
they are not about to let anyone fiddle with that little fiddle

for decades incompetence has been systemic in the public service
there is no way to cull the abs herd levels of incompetence so it becomes a one way street with no exit progression
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby goosemoose » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:28 am

You are being too harsh. Perhaps you should be in charge. On false move and you're off though, how long would you last before someone under your command stuffs up and you're sacked. We'd probably be burning through the people. At the very least we're learned some important lessons, cliche I know but, again when was the last time these people dealt with a global pandemic. I can see the job ad's now "Must have 10 years experience in dealing with global pandemics". Look at it this way, some of these people have had some very expensive staff training, you wouldn't want to pay for all that training and then chuck them would you.

I'm as interested as the next person as to where the virus came from for this outbreak it could change the game if we find it's come from somewhere we didn't suspect it would.

At least those in charge are listening to the experts, epidemiologists, scientists, microbiologists etc etc and not radio talk back hosts, journalists, instagram influencers, economists etc etc. Thats important.

Anyway, you'll have your chance in a few weeks to throw this lot out and put in a new government that has the people with the experience in dealing with global pandemics that will get it right 100% of the time won't you. Roll the dice.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:37 am

It seems fair to say that piloting a plane whose wings have fallen off is a difficult and often thankless task. As society unwinds over the next few years, there will be less and less good news. I can't imagine reaching a point where we collectively decide, 'screw this - let's give JuCo a run', but I've been wrong before.
hagfish

Postby Fast Eddie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 am

Bruce Simpson wrote:There is increasing speculation, backed by some evidence, that it may have entered the country on frozen/chilled food items but the government continues to down-play the possibility of this happening.

Funny - I have the complete opposite impression. The frozen food (conspiracy?) theory seems to be something being pushed only by the government. The cynic in me would say it's done deliberately as a decoy to take attention away from the fact that the govt's systems have failed us. It's only recently that Bloomfield appears to admit (or at least acknowledge) that the "frozen peas theory" is looking very much unlikely now.

Either way, I'm somewhat perplexed as to why Bruce's impression and my impression are at complete odds with each other. Maybe we read different news sources? :)
Fast Eddie

Postby Muz » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:06 am

I personally think that the government needs to get tougher ...... a whole lot tougher. No more "whoops, didn't think of that". These people are supposed to be intelligent but they appear to me to be making basic mistakes.

We have Air NZ saying that they are only doing what the government has told them to. They don't come out as proactive, they just want the dollars with as little hassle as possible. It even appears that aircrew used for charter flights of returnees to quarantine hotels are immediately allowed to continue work on normal regional flights. I'd like to know exactly, without fluff, they are doing to ensure that nobody is going to catch and transmit the virus to the general public.

Nobody is allowed to leave AK unless it is essential. So the first person the ODT interviews as he gets off a plane in Dunedin left AK "to spend time with his girlfriend and to get out of AK for a couple of weeks". WTF ? Essential ????? No reaction to this statement, the guy gets away with it and makes the whole think a mockery.

People breaking out of quarantine centres get hit with a wet bus ticket, unless they claim a mental illness ( or just say they were going a bit nuts)

People breaking in get charged with trespass because nobody thought to make it illegal.

and are people still flying into the country and potentially adding to our problems?

Up until now the government has been pretty amateurish and it has been a whole lot of luck that we managed to eliminate the virus the first time. Now the luck is starting to run out. I'm just waiting for it to hit the South Island and then we can bend over and kiss it goodbye.

Come voting time we could vote in someone else but who? Brownlee was so successful with Christchurch, so we'd really love to give him a chance at cleaning up covid 19 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:36 am

Muz wrote:Come voting time we could vote in someone else but who?

Geez.. things have gotten so bad that maybe Hanna Tamaki *does* have a chance :-) :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby decibel » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Wasn't your "sack 'em all" attitude what caused some problems years ago with airliner crashes and near misses?
Pilots were too scared to tell the truth and a changed policy by ICAO made it easier for people to come forward with improvements to the system based on real-life experience.

However, having said that, there needs to be a better feedback system - the govt gives the orders and someone at the end of the chain-of-command has to respond with "Completed".
decibel

Postby joeseph » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:38 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:
Muz wrote:Come voting time we could vote in someone else but who?

Geez.. things have gotten so bad that maybe Hanna Tamaki *does* have a chance :-) :lol:

I know you're joking, but please don't! that's how US ended up with Donald...
joeseph

Postby paulw » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:03 pm

phill wrote:translation
un public service the public service
snivel servants have spent decades feathering the nests for snivel servants on the pretext that they don't get the pay that equivalent level private sector workers get
( the fact that that is no longer close to a fact means nothing )
they are not about to let anyone fiddle with that little fiddle

for decades incompetence has been systemic in the public service
there is no way to cull the abs herd levels of incompetence so it becomes a one way street with no exit progression

You're dead right there Phil. When I worked for the public service the first thing you were told was to cover your ars and never admit fault. Your job was always safe..
paulw

Next

Return to Today's column