COVID-19 lies and incompetence (19 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: COVID-19 lies and incompetence (19 Aug, 2020)

Postby Ossified Location » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:49 pm

I thought goosemoose was spot on. Its easy for armchair experts and opposition MPs to wax lyrical about how they would have performed flawlessly if they had been in charge, despite having no evidence to support that unlikely assertion. (or in the case of opposition MPs, considerable evidence to the contrary). Full disclosure, I am a paid up member of a party not currently in parliament, and I do believe that in hindsight this government has made some choices that they would now probably choose otherwise. Mistakes happen, the best people can do is admit it and learn from them.

goosemoose wrote:You are being too harsh. Perhaps you should be in charge. On false move and you're off though, how long would you last before someone under your command stuffs up and you're sacked. We'd probably be burning through the people. At the very least we're learned some important lessons, cliche I know but, again when was the last time these people dealt with a global pandemic. I can see the job ad's now "Must have 10 years experience in dealing with global pandemics". Look at it this way, some of these people have had some very expensive staff training, you wouldn't want to pay for all that training and then chuck them would you.

I'm as interested as the next person as to where the virus came from for this outbreak it could change the game if we find it's come from somewhere we didn't suspect it would.

At least those in charge are listening to the experts, epidemiologists, scientists, microbiologists etc etc and not radio talk back hosts, journalists, instagram influencers, economists etc etc. Thats important.

Anyway, you'll have your chance in a few weeks to throw this lot out and put in a new government that has the people with the experience in dealing with global pandemics that will get it right 100% of the time won't you. Roll the dice.
Ossified Location

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:46 am

paulw wrote:You're dead right there Phil. When I worked for the public service the first thing you were told was to cover your ars and never admit fault. Your job was always safe..

Similar to the private sector. CYA and never admit fault. Blame a different section of the company if possible.

Also what most people are not realising is that the whole quarantine and virus response is a massive undertaking which under normal circumstances would be a large scale project which would be scoped and planned for months before beginning implementation. They put it together over a few weeks under ever changing conditions. The fact that it mostly worked is actually something to celebrate sure the holes need to be found and fixed but holding a witch hunt for things that those yelling form the sidelines never predicted is not helpful or productive.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 am

Malcolm wrote:Also what most people are not realising is that the whole quarantine and virus response is a massive undertaking which under normal circumstances would be a large scale project which would be scoped and planned for months before beginning implementation. They put it together over a few weeks under ever changing conditions. The fact that it mostly worked is actually something to celebrate sure the holes need to be found and fixed but holding a witch hunt for things that those yelling form the sidelines never predicted is not helpful or productive.

The thing is... if they can't provide a competent isolation/quarantine service then stop letting people fly into the country until such services are sorted!

Can't stop NZ citizens/residents from returning home?

I don't buy that... they imposed exactly that restriction under L4 so why can't they do it under L3?

It's not like this is just a series of embarassing gaffes... there are people's lives at stake here!

We don't say to people who make the "mistake" of driving while drunk "too bad, go home, sleep it off, try harder next time" do we? Hell no, we say "drink driving endangers the lives of other road-users and for that, YOU WILL BE PENALISED" -- so why is this situation any different?

It's only different because it's those in power who are making the mistakes and the mantra of politics is "do as we say, not as we do" :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 am

The borders were technically open under level 4. There was a lack of commercial travel options however as all airlines suspended flights. The drink driving is not really a good comparison as it is a conscious decision to get drunk and operate a vehicle. It is closer to the people in managed isolation breaking out.
Malcolm

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Malcolm wrote:Also what most people are not realising is that the whole quarantine and virus response is a massive undertaking which under normal circumstances would be a large scale project which would be scoped and planned for months before beginning implementation. They put it together over a few weeks under ever changing conditions. The fact that it mostly worked is actually something to celebrate sure the holes need to be found and fixed but holding a witch hunt for things that those yelling form the sidelines never predicted is not helpful or productive.

Mistakes will happen, and I don't think anyone expects flawlessness. However, there are mistakes, and there are giant cockups.

Secondly, I suspect the general population might have been more forgiving earlier on in the operation. As you say this was a situation that developed reasonably fast - mid-January to mid-March (8 weeks) is really all the lead time that was available. But we're now 7 months beyond mid-January, so lack of PPE, lack of testing at the border, poor logistics (recent arrivals mixing with those towards the end of their stay), etc are getting less and less excusable. At what point do slip-ups become incompetence? I guess we all draw the line somewhere different.
Fast Eddie

Postby paulw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Looks like the governments get out of jail card in this was to pin it on Americold but now they've ruled them out as the source of the new virus which leaves us where?? The border leaking.
paulw

Previous

Return to Today's column